Unidentified Cichlids • ID these rehomed cichlids!

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

ID these rehomed cichlids!

Postby Breezeman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm

Hey all,

I just acquired 8x #cichlids and could really use some help identifying these species! I figured out a couple but hope you can help with the rest!

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
20190706_135956.jpg
20190706_160828.jpg
Same species**?
20190706_160834.jpg
Star saphire?
20190706_161404.jpg
20190706_161157.jpg
20190706_161657.jpg
20190706_161736.jpg
Same species**?
Breezeman

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: ID these rehomed cichlids!

Postby noki » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:19 pm

1. Yellow Labidochromis
2. unknown Aulonocara. ...hybrid? not sure if this a pure that might be "older" and look funny
3. yes, Placidochromis sp. "Tanzanian Phenocheilus"... nice!
4. Scienochromis fryeri "Electric Blue Hap"... color is washed out, but could be good
5. Placidochromis Sp. "Taiwan Reef"... color is washed out but could be good
6. Aulonocara stuartgranti... might be "Ngara Flametail" to guess, seems like a good fish. Mouth deformed? or just a bad portrait?
7. Aulonocara stuartgranti "Maulana Bi-color 500"... seems like a good fish.
noki

Postby Breezeman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:56 pm

One more! Forgot this beauty, thanks so much for the help!
Attachments
20190704_150612.jpg
Breezeman

Postby Breezeman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:58 pm

And another shot of #6, to help clarify
Attachments
20190706_161427.jpg
Breezeman

Postby Breezeman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:00 pm

Another of #2, to help clarify
Attachments
20190706_160909.jpg
Breezeman

Postby Breezeman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:33 pm

It is also worth noting that all 8x of the cichlids are believed to be all Male.

Also, the reason for beat up looking fins is all 8x males were kept in a corner 54gal tank and was way too small for all those boys. I spilt them, 4 to my 125gal and 4 stayed in the corner 53gal w/ 2x synodontis ocelliers

I hope their find wi start to heal with more room and less aggression. I dosed the water with some aquarium salt and seachem stress gaurd, to aid in healing. I'll only keep it in the tank for one more water change cycle.

Thanks for the help!
Breezeman

Postby ken31cay » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:02 am

I'm jealous, a couple of these are real beauties. Especially the Phenochilus Tanzania, both of my 'males' are around 18 months old and still haven't really colored up. Though they both have two or three very small specks, I'm beginning to doubt whether they'll get anymore.

I hope you enjoy them and best of luck caring for them.
450gal male peacocks & haps, Frontosa
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby noki » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:03 am

Breezeman wrote:One more! Forgot this beauty, thanks so much for the help!

This one kinda looks like a large Hap, but the yellow blaze and body shape doesn't seem to match :-?
noki

Postby noki » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:05 am

Breezeman wrote:And another shot of #6, to help clarify

#6 does look like a "Flametail Peacock", it is just difficult to know if a fish is an exact pure type.
noki

Postby noki » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 am

Breezeman wrote:It is also worth noting that all 8x of the cichlids are believed to be all Male.

Also, the reason for beat up looking fins is all 8x males were kept in a corner 54gal tank and was way too small for all those boys. I spilt them, 4 to my 125gal and 4 stayed in the corner 53gal w/ 2x synodontis ocelliers

I hope their find wi start to heal with more room and less aggression. I dosed the water with some aquarium salt and seachem stress gaurd, to aid in healing. I'll only keep it in the tank for one more water change cycle.

Thanks for the help!

#2 does look like an Aulonocara hybrid at first guess, is there somewhat of a white blaze on the forehead/ nose? That could be the sign of a Fryeri mix.

You should keep them all together in the longer bigger tank. They are easier to keep in "crowds", and with more space to swim away from each other. All do seem males. Thou, the Yellow Labidochromis can be hard to tell if male when you have a single like that. Fresh water changes helps more than anything.
noki

Postby Breezeman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Thank you everybody! @Noki thanks so much for the ids, most if not all are spot on, and I have a much better idea of what I have.

I'm a Polypterus guy tbh, the 125gal already has 4x bichirs (8-12" ) 3x biotadoma Wavrini (orinoco eartheater) one of my favorite fish (south American cichlid variety) So the 125gal is pretty stocked, thus the decision to just have 4x of the new cichlids in with them and keeping the other 4x in the corner 54gal atm. I'll probably end up moving them all into the 125 after they heal up a bit, their fine were pretty beat up when I first got them 2 weeks ago, but are surprisingly healing rapidly.

Once more. Thanks! And please continue to shovel info my way. I love these fish but am considering trading them for additional catfish and polypterus varieties in the future.
Breezeman

Postby Breezeman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:21 pm

ken31cay wrote:I'm jealous, a couple of these are real beauties. Especially the Phenochilus Tanzania, both of my 'males' are around 18 months old and still haven't really colored up. Though they both have two or three very small specks, I'm beginning to doubt whether they'll get anymore.

The sapphire is one of, if not my favorite, new cichlid! Such a beauty! I got super lucky over here, thanks!
Breezeman

Postby Breezeman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:55 pm

ken31cay wrote:I'm jealous, a couple of these are real beauties. Especially the Phenochilus Tanzania, both of my 'males' are around 18 months old and still haven't really colored up. Though they both have two or three very small specks, I'm beginning to doubt whether they'll get anymore.

I wish i could comment as to the age of these fish, whether or not the Tanzania had specks at what age, but I can't imagine they are more than 2 years, I'd have to imagine less. The woman I acquired these fish from didn't seem like she had them long.

Anyways, I really hope yours colors up becausethey truly are beautiful , especially when the light hits them right. Also under blue, moon light oooweee!
Breezeman

Postby ken31cay » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 pm

Breezeman wrote:

The sapphire is one of, if not my favorite, new cichlid! Such a beauty! I got super lucky over here, thanks!

Your sapphire is like one of those stock photos they display but you can never actually seem to get one as good. IMO he has really good color. Maybe mine are female, but time will tell I guess.
ken31cay

Postby ken31cay » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 am

Breezeman wrote:Another of #2, to help clarify

This one looks like a Aulonocara Hueseri.
ken31cay

Next

Return to Unidentified Cichlids