Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Red Devil showing off

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Auballagh 
#1 ·
Just a picture of my female Red Devil showing off her fins.

The red near her gills is normal, right?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a good-looking girl. 8)
And no, I don't think the 'blushy' patch around her gill plate is anything to worry about. I am kinda surprised someone hasn't taken you up yet on the 'free-to-a-good-home' donation deal you are offering for this girl. :?

#4 ·
Awww well now.... you won't be the first to fall hard for the charms of the Red Devil (or, closely related Midas Cichlid). MOST of the time they can be too much of a bully to keep successfully in community type tanks.
Whew! Just too much personality for everyone else to handle?
But, when kept individually as a so-called 'Wet Pet'? That's when they really seem to come into their own. :D

#8 ·
She is still fanning them... I am thinking about taking them all out during water change today. Any thoughts?

Many of them are turning white. If that info is relevant at all. I'm guessing that it is a sign that the eggs aren't any good to be fertilized any more?

#9 ·
Yeah.... unfortunately for your girly girl Red Devil, it really is all about wishful thinking in there. White eggs are non-viable and the fungus, bacteria or whatever has started to claim them.
I'm kinda surprised she hasn't eaten the white ones already, (young Mom?).
And yeah, I wouldn't let this sort of thing disrupt your water change or maintenance schedule too much. Be careful of those fingers in there with her though! Sometimes they will surprise you with an all-out attack when covering some eggs like this - usually when you least expect it.... :x

#10 ·
Lmao... you don't say?

She went full on Rambo. Attacked the siphon, attacked my hand, got my finger once... now she is hostile towards me lol. Always been friendly before. I imagine she isn't happy with me.

Yes, first eggs ever laid by her.

Interesting to say the least!

#11 ·
A few (many) years back, when I was doing this Volunteer gig at the Virginia Aquarium I discovered just how nasty a protective, individually-kept Mom fish can be when covering some freshly laid eggs.
This happened with a saltwater Oyster Toadfish, Opsanus tau, and I was just doing some weekly cleaning with a water change. And, until that girl laid into my thumb I had no idea she was protecting eggs.
Whew....
-

-
And well, 8 stitches later after a visit to the medical clinic... I definitely came away with a much healthier respect for egg-protective Mom fish in the aquarium. :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.