Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Male or Female Convict?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr Chromedome 
#1 ·
Hi I got a male juvenile Convict from Petco more than a week ago and I was told it was a male because he didn't have an orange belly. He's grown a lot in a week and he's blossomed in colors. Do you think the "male" in these pictures is a male or female? In some pics he's next to a bright orange female who I want him to breed with. The fish in question has tan/light orange dots on their belly but it's minimal compared to the female with drastic orange stripes. His 3 back fins are a tad bit yellow and he has some blue on his dorsal fins. He also has a green spec going around his eye on the left side. He constantly chases and bites the brighter orange female. Last night they fought under a bridge for about an hour until he won and drove her behind the filter.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh, well then.....
Drama? It seems those girls got a little out of hand for the 'sleepover'?
Wow, Pillow Fight!!! Be careful now, ladies.... :lol:
-
And, (A. siquia)? C'mon now, what happened with Amatitlania nigrofasciata? Geeze man.... these scientific names are changing faster than anyone can keep up with these days. :roll:

#6 ·
The fact is, the old aquarium strains were mostly a mixture of nigrofasciata and siquia, hybridized beyond identification. Pretty much like MiDevils. However, a few years ago there was a major influx of two populations of wild caught siquia via TUIC, and their coloration is fairly distinct. OPs females match the ones I was breeding in 2014 very nicely.
Female siquia Rio Tempisque
DSC_0386.JPG

Male with their fry
DSC_0048.JPG

#7 ·
Wow, those are some nice looking cichlids. :)
With the exception of the band/spot on the dorsal fin, they remind me a lot of the WC Cryptoheros cuttteri I brought back from Honduras.
Appreciate the pics - thanks for sharing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.