Central American Cichlids • Texas Cichlid not Eating

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Texas Cichlid not Eating

Postby sarahgs001 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Hey ya'll, I just joined today as I got a new texas cichlid yesterday. He has been in the tank less than 24 hrs. so I am not terribly worried yet about him not eating as he's probably still adjusting, but he looks hungry and is already searching the tank for food. I tried to feed him sinking pellets and he was not interested at all, the pet store I got him from said that he was a surrender and not from their stock, so I'm assuming his previous owner either fed him floating or live food. The problem is, I don't have access to floating cichlid foods at this time (only general tropical fish foods) and the only live foods I have are a singular feeder goldfish and some earthworms; both of which I know are really fatty and may carry parasites. Any tips on how to get him to eat the pellets? Also, I have heard that you can feed them other meats and vegetables such as chicken, ham, and peas in moderation if prepared the right way, is this true? And if so, how should I prepare them? Thanks a bunch!
sarahgs001

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Texas Cichlid not Eating

Postby cyclonecichlids » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't feed meats because they dirty the water. You can feed chickpeas. A lot of people do that.

Keep giving him pellets, just in small amounts. Suck up any pellets he doesn't eat, after 20-30 minutes, so they don't decompose. Eventually he will get hungry enough to start eating them.
Mbipia Lutea keeper / breeder in So Cal.
www.fb.me/VictorianCichlids
cyclonecichlids

Postby Mr Chromedome » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Earthworms cannot carry any pathogens that would affect a fish. Probably one of the best live foods for larger predators. I would not feed regular meat to a fish, it can cause digestive problems.

I wouldn't worry about trying to feed him for at least three days. Some fish take food right away, but a lot don't. Have a little patience.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby markwn » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:15 pm

I do not give worms to fish.
markwn

Postby isabellamor » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:47 am

Never have I feed worms in my fish tank.
A customer support representative for 4wheelonline.
Feel free to message if you are looking for wheel and tire packages.
isabellamor

Postby Mr Chromedome » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 pm

isabellamor wrote:Never have I feed worms in my fish tank.

markwn wrote:I do not give worms to fish.

I think I feel sorry for your fish. Earthworms are not appropriate for vegetarian fish like Mbuna, but Herichthys are mostly predatory. It is a high protein food, so certainly not an every day diet. More like a weekly treat, or something to entice a hesitant eater. But they are not fatty, almost the exact opposite. Overfeeding them will make your fish fat though! I have even chopped up a worm to feed smaller fishes, such as some Tetras, Gobies, and SA Dwarf Cichlids.

I had a breeding pair of Jaguar Cichlids that I could trigger a spawning just by giving the female a big, juicy nightcrawler. Because the worms are terrestrial, they do not carry any pathogens that could infect fish, unlike the minor risk from Blackworms or Tubifex.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby ken31cay » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:53 pm

Mr Chromedome wrote:
isabellamor wrote:Never have I feed worms in my fish tank.

markwn wrote:I do not give worms to fish.

I think I feel sorry for your fish. Earthworms are not appropriate for vegetarian fish like Mbuna, but Herichthys are mostly predatory. It is a high protein food, so certainly not an every day diet. More like a weekly treat, or something to entice a hesitant eater. But they are not fatty, almost the exact opposite. Overfeeding them will make your fish fat though! I have even chopped up a worm to feed smaller fishes, such as some Tetras, Gobies, and SA Dwarf Cichlids.

I had a breeding pair of Jaguar Cichlids that I could trigger a spawning just by giving the female a big, juicy nightcrawler. Because the worms are terrestrial, they do not carry any pathogens that could infect fish, unlike the minor risk from Blackworms or Tubifex.

When I lived in the northeast US I used to feed my SA tank (Oscars, Jack Dempseys, etc) night crawlers as an occasional treat. Fish love them.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Return to Central American Cichlids