Central American Cichlids • Rainbows

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Rainbows

Postby dwl0222 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:35 am

In the process of setting up a 75 gallon, no set in stone plans but I wouldn’t mind trying to have a breeding pair. The typical convict and firemouth come to mind as I love both of them, but I wouldn’t mind trying something new either. I see mention of Rainbow cichlids now and then, in a 75, how many could I safely have? What other fish could I home with them? Do you Rainbow owners recommend them?
75 gallon-central American in planning stages
dwl0222

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Rainbows

Postby Bd79 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:29 pm

I like Rainbow cichlids a lot. Very durable and pretty fish. They do breed pretty prolifically, but the parenting process is usually interesting. In a 75, maybe two pair? I think that would work in a 75.

You could have Central American livebearers with them. Or another dwarf Central American cichlid, like Amatitlania myrnae, but you could end up with a lot of breeding going on, things could get tense.
Attachments
IMG_0026.JPG
Bd79

Postby dwl0222 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks for the reply! Those are beautiful fish! How would I go about getting the pairs? I know with certain species you’d get a male or two and 2-3 females for each male, let them “naturally” pair off then remove the others. Is that what I’d do for rainbows?
dwl0222

Postby Bd79 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:07 pm

You could do that, or you could just get a group (5-6) of juveniles and see who pairs off.
Bd79

Postby dwl0222 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Bd79 wrote:You could do that, or you could just get a group (5-6) of juveniles and see who pairs off.

Yeah I think that’s what I’ll do. Just gotta do some more research on what else I’d like to have with them. Thanks for the help!
dwl0222

Return to Central American Cichlids