Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)
Post a reply

Help me decide. Getting back into the hobby!

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:58 am

Hi, its been a while since i posted here. I haven't had an aquarium in a couple years, my last setup was a 75 with a Red Devil. Before that i experimented with all sorts of cichlids (convicts, fire mouths, Jack dempsey etc etc). Now I'm ready to jump back in, but can't make up my mind on what to go with. I really enjoyed the cons, firemouths and JD, and definitely wouldn't mind giving them a shot again. My thing is, i'd like to try a breeding pair (cons or firemouth) along with something else (another cichlid, dithers, catfish/pleco). What have you guys had luck with or can recomend in a 75 gallon? I like to watch the breeding behavior, but don't want to raise fry, so something to eat eggs at night or the fry when young would be beneficial. Also, if wanting a breeding pair, do i get 6-7 juveniles and let them pair off, then return the rest, or is it best to have a 1 male to 3-4 female ratio permanently? I know its a lot, but i just was to do whats best to give the fish the best chance at working out long term. Oh btw, the filtration will probably be 2 AC110s. Thanks for any help you can give me!
Post a reply