Central American Cichlids • What do you do with your fry?

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

What do you do with your fry?

Postby slava2929 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:37 am

I thought I had two male rainbows but oddly enough, one of my "males" who is about 1/3 the size of my other rainbow laid eggs and now I have about 100 fry. There are two pretty large pet stores in my area so I should be able to sell some of my fry but right now I have about 100 and even with a 50% death rate, I"m going to have a lot of baby rainbow cichlids. I was just wondering how people deal with their fry. Over time do you breed so much that you cull the eggs, cull the fry, sell the babies, sell the juveniles and if so, who do you sell them to. Any suggestions as to what I"m going to do with these fish in a month would be welcome.
29 - Convict, 2 Zebra Danios
40B - 2 Rainbow Cic's + 25 fry, Panda Garra
20 - juvenile Angelfish, Ember Tetra, Rummynose Tetra, 2 Rosy Tetras
20L - Jewel Cic., 2 Panda Corys, 3 Axelrod Corys, 3 Sterba's Corys, 3 Denison's Barbs
slava2929

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What do you do with your fry?

Postby Old Newbie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Get a Synodontis catfish or two if you don't want to have to mess with the fry; they are predatory.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Re: What do you do with your fry?

Postby sirdavidofdiscus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:52 pm

I take them to an aquarium club action. I'm fortunate where I live there are 6-7 clubs within an hour drive. So every couple of weeks someone has an auction
sirdavidofdiscus

Return to Central American Cichlids