Central American Cichlids • Help w/ red devil and midas

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Help w/ red devil and midas

Postby aahren10 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:04 pm

I just bought some new world cichlids for my 75 gal the other day. Two of them were labeled as snooks, but after i bought them, i did a bit of research and saw that these were actually a red devil cichlid and a midas. They are both juveniles at the moment and peaceful, how long will that last. Should i take them back asap?
aahren10

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Help w/ red devil and midas

Postby BC in SK » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:35 am

Peaceful now because they are new to a tank and not yet established. Also young and small, so not the same thing as larger adults. Probably weeks to months before you experience RD/midas as one of the most aggressive cichlids. It's often difficult to house RD/midas with tank mates in very large tanks. In a 75 gal. it's going to be a very difficult challenge. As a minimum in terms of carnage, one RD/midas is likely to end up killing the other.
I think you would be best to take them back.
BC in SK

Postby aahren10 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks for the response. I really dont wanna loose my rd cause he already has a good personality so i looked on craigslist and i found a 55 gallon tank w/ everything coming with it for only $75. So im considering taking that route. Would a 55 be big enough for him?
aahren10

Postby james1983 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 am

It would work temporarily until about 6". It would be the only fish in the tank. Google pics of red devil/Midas and you'll see how big they get. They usually have the attitude to go with the size too.
james1983

Return to Central American Cichlids