Central American Cichlids • Festae Sexing

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Festae Sexing

Postby cooldragon76 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Any expert can advise my festae whether is it Male or Female? From the link below..
https://youtu.be/vYwZrm6F0U0
Purchased at farm and the owner told me is a Male. But it look exactly the same body shape as another piece (which is not in the video) and owner claimed tat piece is a Female.. thanks for ur time..
cooldragon76

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Festae Sexing

Postby Ichthys » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:55 pm

Well it's female but it isn't a festae as they're not grey. My best guess is maybe a festae x urophthalmus? Or maybe festae x Convict
Ichthys

Postby cooldragon76 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:23 am

Oh is it? then too bad, the farm owner is not so honest.. telling me is a wild caught Festae. I got 2 similar fish, buying it at quite high price in Sg, compared to other cichlid here.. :(
cooldragon76

Postby BC in SK » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:28 am

IMO, no reason to suppose it is hybrid. Certainly looks like a pure festae to me.
Now, as far as determining sex, the fish is a little ambiguous. The look of the fish, the barring pattern and coloration all point to it being male. But then it also appears to have the female dorsal spot. For the majority of common festae in captivity, the dorsal spot is a very reliable indicator of sex......though for some populations of festae it is NOT reliable. I'm not certain of the sex of your fish, but I tend to lean towards male.
cooldragon76 wrote: telling me is a wild caught Festae. (

You shoud find out the collection location.
BC in SK

Postby cooldragon76 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks for the feedback.. taken another video to show both of the Festae, last time when my purchase, farm owner told me the first one (in the video) is a Female due to its smaller size, then second one is a Male, which I post its video earlier.. the last one is my Regani which I open another thread to get the expert’s feedback on sexing as well..
https://youtu.be/BASu671ZXQM
cooldragon76

Return to Central American Cichlids