Central American Cichlids • Stocking my 250 gallon CA/SA aggressive tank

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Stocking my 250 gallon CA/SA aggressive tank

Postby JonathanN » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:26 pm

hi, I got a custom made 250 gallon tank, it is quite long and the actual shape of the tank has weird angles perfect for scared fish to lose the lien of sight. Anyway I wanted to have some beasts in there, I was thinking a pair of Red tiger cichlids, a Jag, a red devil, a pair of green terrors, and a Texas cichlid. but I want one or two more cichlids that will be beautiful but yet big and ferocious like the Red tiger or green terror any suggestions. Thanks :)
JonathanN

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking my 250 gallon CA/SA aggressive tank

Postby JonathanN » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:27 pm

maybe a dovii?
JonathanN

Postby Deeda » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:48 am

Any chance you can post the dimensions of the tank or provide a picture?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby FunkyFish » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Festae, urophthalmus, caquetaia spectabilis. I believe those all stay in the 14 inch range, which is plenty big for a 250. Dovii get huge. I love them, but I dont know that Im a fan of putting them in a 250.
FunkyFish

Postby JonathanN » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:25 pm

DIMENSIONS- it is 12 feet long, the 8 foot section is 2 feet wide and there is a 16 inch wide 4 foot section that I will be putting tons of hiding spots and caves and holes for the smaller cichlids that are being bullied and what not and its is 2 and a half feet tall
JonathanN

Postby JonathanN » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:32 pm

My bad everyone, plans have changed and it will be a 500 gallon tank, now what are your thought, I want some big boys in here
JonathanN

Postby Oscar6 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:16 pm

That's a nice big tank for sure. Its still not massive when considering stocking a mix of killer cichlids. Any one of Jag, RD or even a mating pair of Motas can do heavy damage to almost any other fish if they take a notion. I suggest forgetting Green Terrors, they are far below the Centrals for tough and all round mean. GT will get cleaned out most likely. What works best for your ideas is a single beast that can claim the tank, and several other sub-dominant fish that pose no threat to the tank boss. Buuut.. its always a gamble mixing aggressive, territorial cichlids, even in 12ft and 500g. Nobody can say such and such will work, or something else wont. You mention Dovii.. that tank would be a good home for a pair or even a single monster male. Visitors not welcome. For the best insight into how to keep the big meanies, peruse Guapote Mel on YT. Nobody does it better.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby FunkyFish » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:40 pm

i can only go off my experience, and as stated, individual fish do vary, however dovii don't end up mixing well with anything for long ime, and I certainly cant say 12 foot is more than one is willing to claim as his own. Their attitude seems to be as stated "visitors not welcome". Keep in mind 12 feet is 6x the body length of a large dovii, and I would think nothing of a 3" fish claiming 18" square. Its kind of why I prefer smaller fish these days, there's a greater chance of watching close to their natural behavior in the confines of an aquarium.
FunkyFish

Postby Larhonda » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:04 am

I believe those all stay in the 14 inch range, which is plenty big for a 250
Here you can find australian open dates 2018
 year
Larhonda

Postby FireHorn123 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

With a 500 gallon tank I would say that a Dovii with other cichlids would work. An example of this is GuapoteMels twins 500 gallons he has multiple dovii in with other mixed cichlids. You can look up his channel on youtube that might give you ideas on some stocking.
40gB- (2)Gold Severum, (2)Guppies [Unfinished]
30gL-(2)Rainbow Cichlid Pair, (5)White Skirt Tetras [Finished]
29g- (2) Kribensis Pair (4) Mixed Cory Cats [Nearly Finished]
20gL- (1)Male Dwarf Gourami [Unfinished]
10g-Unoccupied
450g Fountain Pond-[HEAVY WORK IN PROGRESS]
FireHorn123

Return to Central American Cichlids