Central American Cichlids • Three different CA cichlid breeds in a 40 Gallon

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Three different CA cichlid breeds in a 40 Gallon

Postby slava2929 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:43 pm

I"m quite surprised that I have been able to pull it off, but I have had a small firemouth (1 inch), a juvenile female convict (2.5 inches) and a fully grown rainbow male (4.5 inches) living happily in a 40 breeder for a few weeks now. A month ago the rainbow would beat up the convict regularly to the point where I put in a divider in off and on for a couple of weeks. It gave the convict a break. Over time the convict has staked out a space in the tank and is able to defend its territory and the rainbow appears to respect that. The firemouth and the convict get along surprisingly well (zero conflict so far) and the rainbow will occasionally bother the firemouth, but nothing serious. At one point there was so much conflict I didn't think this setup would work, but I added a large piece of wood and some plants and re-arranged my rocks. So far so good.
29 - Convict, 2 Zebra Danios
40B - 2 Rainbow Cic's + 25 fry, Panda Garra
20 - juvenile Angelfish, Ember Tetra, Rummynose Tetra, 2 Rosy Tetras
20L - Jewel Cic., 2 Panda Corys, 3 Axelrod Corys, 3 Sterba's Corys, 3 Denison's Barbs
slava2929

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Three different CA cichlid breeds in a 40 Gallon

Postby smitty » Tue May 01, 2018 10:43 am

Good luck.
150gal- Dovi; 3 AC 110 P. Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maclcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC 110 P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5
smitty

Return to Central American Cichlids