Central American Cichlids • Is this normal for Firemouths?

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Is this normal for Firemouths?

Postby JoshMKB24 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello,

I had an extra 29 gallon tank that has been cycling for about a week and figured I'd throw some firemouths in it today. One of them appears fine, he/she sits there fins waving away as they chill under a rock. The other one though just sort of sits motionless on the bottom. He isn't on his side or anything, he's upright but his fins aren't moving and he hasn't moved for 2 hours. I poked him to make sure he was alive and yep still very alive as he shot out of there like a canon haha, but now he's back to just sitting there motionless and its been about another hour. Is this normal for this type of cichlid? I mean usually you'd see some fins moving at least a little bit! Thanks
JoshMKB24

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Is this normal for Firemouths?

Postby JoshMKB24 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Also, his tail is bent to the side......not sure if that means anything.

This could be all for nothing, but I'm definitely no fish expert and what little fish knowledge I have is more about African Cichlids.
JoshMKB24

Postby Ichthys » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Had the filter finished cycling?
Ichthys

Postby JoshMKB24 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Ichthys wrote:Had the filter finished cycling?

I'm assuming so. I had African cichlids in it until about 1.5 weeks ago. I drained like 50% of the water and cleaned the gravel and then filled it up again and let it cycle for a little over a week. I'm assuming it was fully cycled since it was only 50% of the water. All the levels checked out fine. They still haven't really moved, but there is some fin movement now at least. I did some research and it seems that some fire mouths take a bit to acclimate themselves to new environments, which I'm assuming is what they're going through. My only real concern was that there was like no fin movement from the larger one.

At one point the smaller one entered the larger one's area and like opened its mouth and I thought htey were going to bite the big one.......but they just sort of shoved him to the side a few times with its mouth until he was moved into 1 of the caves. It almost seemed like the little one was looking out for the big one hah.
JoshMKB24

Return to Central American Cichlids