Central American Cichlids • Rainbow cichlid laying at bottom of tank

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Rainbow cichlid laying at bottom of tank

Postby LisaSteinbacher » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 pm

image.jpg
Sick rainbow
image.jpg
Sick rainbow
My rainbow Cichlid has been laying at the bottom of the tank for a week. He was still eating for a few days there and all the sudden he is not eating anymore and now he has white looking eyes and looks a little milky and marks on him that almost looks like he is being picked on by the other fish. I have a green terror, a Dempsey, & convict. They were fine for the last couple months since I started my tank. Know that he looks bad I can’t tell if he is the disease or if he stressed out and being picked on. What do I do?
LisaSteinbacher

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Rainbow cichlid laying at bottom of tank

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:06 am

A rainbow is not a good tank mate for that mix of fish, it's hard to tell from the angle of the photo but I'd guess the poor thing has had the s*#& kicked out of it by the much, much more aggressive fish it's housed with. You haven't mentioned the tank size - what size is the tank these fish are in?

You need to separate it immediately, though after a week I'm not sure there's going to be much you can do. Dose with salt and Melafix to treat any wounds and see what happens.
SinisterKisses

180gal: Argentea, Regani, Heterospila
125gal: Goldfish tank
120gal: Midas male
5gal: Bettas
Sinister-Kisses

Re: Rainbow cichlid laying at bottom of tank

Postby cichlidluvr82 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:44 am

A rainbow cichlid cannot be kept worth your other cichlids. That poor fish looks like it's dying. Please reply and let us know if he pulled through!
cichlidluvr82

Return to Central American Cichlids