Central American Cichlids • EBJD/JD/GT Help

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

EBJD/JD/GT Help

Postby Vaskov » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:52 am

Hello all!
Im looking at getting a 120xm x 40 cm x 55cm ( W x D x H ) tank this week and I've checked on a few places and I believe it is big enough for one of the fish in the title at least, not sure about any tank mates or if a 1fish tank would be best I need advice on that. I have another community tank set up in my house and the water in my area is soft water its 4.2 dh/75ppm and 7ph. Would this water be suitable for a GT/JD/EBJD?

Also for those who have kept these fish what are they like? Do they have good personalities? I hear Oscars are the kings for personality but im not sure the tank would be big enough and I prefer the looks of the others, JD moreso than GT because of the lumped head.

Thanks!
Vaskov

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: EBJD/JD/GT Help

Postby Oscar6 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am

Tank will hold any of the fish you ask about, and you are correct... not an Oscar. I find that of the 3, the GT will likely be the most personable. Your water is more South American friendly as well. The head lump you dislike is a water filled sac that grows as a sign of dominance. Unlikely to be much to worry about in a single fish tank. EBJD, while always a fan favorite for looks, is a very fragile fish. Weak immune system, prone to deformities. Very slow growing. Nothing like a regular JD. JD are cool fish as well, but they can be major pouters with any change in their environment. Mine sits in his cave sulking for at least 2hrs after every water change. And that's 2x a week for over 5yrs. Even before your decision, I urge you to have a fully cycled tank. Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle and how it works in the aquarium?
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby Vaskov » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm

Oscar6 wrote:Tank will hold any of the fish you ask about, and you are correct... not an Oscar. I find that of the 3, the GT will likely be the most personable. Your water is more South American friendly as well. The head lump you dislike is a water filled sac that grows as a sign of dominance. Unlikely to be much to worry about in a single fish tank. EBJD, while always a fan favorite for looks, is a very fragile fish. Weak immune system, prone to deformities. Very slow growing. Nothing like a regular JD. JD are cool fish as well, but they can be major pouters with any change in their environment. Mine sits in his cave sulking for at least 2hrs after every water change. And that's 2x a week for over 5yrs. Even before your decision, I urge you to have a fully cycled tank. Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle and how it works in the aquarium?

Thanks for the reply! Yeah we have had tanks before and currently got one running and have cycled them. Im in no rush to add the fish we made the mistake of adding fish to the other tank before the decor was in and its a pain everytime we get something new! Im gonna take it very slow doing this tank too for finance reasons as well, supposed to be saving! I have been looking at regular JDs and they have grown alot on me I think they are really great fish and look amazing too. Have you kept GTs before or just the JD? With the tank mentioned would there be any room for anymore fish for clean up etc or any of the barbs etc? If the fish was the tanks prime member would its head not grow how some of the pictures show? Is Hikari cichlid gold a good food for them too with bloodworms etc mixed in?

Thanks for the reply!
Vaskov

Postby Oscar6 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:45 pm

I have had and currently do have both JD and GT. My current male JD is a nasty bugger, I have tried him with an array of tankmates, he fights with everything. Win or lose he is a scrapper. A few months ago I lost another male to old age, and he was the opposite. Great community fish, never bothered anything, big or small. I have never been able to keep JD and GT together, they always fight. All cichlids have their own distinct personality and temperament, you cant just say this fish will go with that fish. Its always a cointoss. You may get away with a school of barbs or tetras, but I don't think you have the volume or footprint to have more than 1 territorial cichlid. My current GT is a 2yr old male, he is in a 265g community that is owned by a giant Oscar. He shows some nuchal hump, but nothing to unsightly imo. I have had male GT that show no hump, single or in a mixed tank. Another of those, "you get what you get" deals. As with any omnivorous cichlid, a quality pellet as the staple, with a varied amount of nutritious treats is a good diet. Hikari Gold is a decent pellet. I use Northfin, not exclusively, but its the main pellet here. I would go easy on bloodworm, imo freeze dried krill is the better offering.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby Vaskov » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:32 pm

Oscar6 wrote:I have had and currently do have both JD and GT. My current male JD is a nasty bugger, I have tried him with an array of tankmates, he fights with everything. Win or lose he is a scrapper. A few months ago I lost another male to old age, and he was the opposite. Great community fish, never bothered anything, big or small. I have never been able to keep JD and GT together, they always fight. All cichlids have their own distinct personality and temperament, you cant just say this fish will go with that fish. Its always a cointoss. You may get away with a school of barbs or tetras, but I don't think you have the volume or footprint to have more than 1 territorial cichlid. My current GT is a 2yr old male, he is in a 265g community that is owned by a giant Oscar. He shows some nuchal hump, but nothing to unsightly imo. I have had male GT that show no hump, single or in a mixed tank. Another of those, "you get what you get" deals. As with any omnivorous cichlid, a quality pellet as the staple, with a varied amount of nutritious treats is a good diet. Hikari Gold is a decent pellet. I use Northfin, not exclusively, but its the main pellet here. I would go easy on bloodworm, imo freeze dried krill is the better offering.

Thats no problem ill stick to a single fish! Im still torn between the 2 they are both very nice looking and will both make a great addition to the tank. Its a very hard decision but nonetheless thanks for your help and advice!
Vaskov

Return to Central American Cichlids