Central American Cichlids • Stocking Help

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Stocking Help

Postby HKistler13 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:30 am

I recently purchased a 180 gallon 6X2X2 aquarium. I have 3 EBJDs and want to keep an Oscar with them and maybe one or two blue Gene dempseys for mating purposes. Would this be overstocked. Filtration is one FX6 and a 30 gallon sump. Thank you!
HKistler13

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking Help

Postby Oscar6 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:07 pm

I wouldn't necessarily call overstock, but the problem of rapid growing Oscar may put Blue Jacks at risk. EBJD is slow growing, doesn't have the mean streak of regular Jack. They don't respond well to stress and bullying. Oscar could be a foot long before its first birthday, and could well take out all the Jacks before that. Could work, depends on the attitude of the Oscar, but I think odds against.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby HKistler13 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:20 am

Oscar6 wrote:I wouldn't necessarily call overstock, but the problem of rapid growing Oscar may put Blue Jacks at risk. EBJD is slow growing, doesn't have the mean streak of regular Jack. They don't respond well to stress and bullying. Oscar could be a foot long before its first birthday, and could well take out all the Jacks before that. Could work, depends on the attitude of the Oscar, but I think odds against.

Thank you for the help, what if I grew the EBJDs out a little before adding the Oscar?
HKistler13

Postby Oscar6 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Its been my experience that Blue Jack grows so slow its barely noticeable. Maybe only 3ins in a year. Oscar can grow an inch per month during its growth spurt of 3-10 months. Oscar is going to double, even triple the Jacks no matter the timeframe. If you are lucky enough to get EBJD past 3ins, that's an accomplishment right there. Possibly the most fragile cichlid in the entire hobby. I just see a big bully Oscar as a detriment to EBJD success. An 8-9in Oscar can quite easily gobble up a 3in fish. If they think they can get it down, they will take a shot.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Return to Central American Cichlids