Central American Cichlids • HOW DO I MAKE CICHLID BRAVER???

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

HOW DO I MAKE CICHLID BRAVER???

Postby PGJE » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi i wrote earlier about my texas cichlid being scared a lot, and I now have him in a 23 gallon fishtank. He fits in it perfectly, and it is a really beautiful tank. I put him in the tank only two days before today (the day I posted this topic) and he moves around a bit but whenever I come into the room he hides as quickly as he can. I know I'm kind of impatient for waiting two days and wondering how to make him less skittish, but I've had problems with him before. I don't want him to be scared all the time, and I have seen plenty of videos where the texas cichlid is really outgoing. He never gets excited at feeding time, and hides as far away from me as i can when I drop the food in. So far, he hasn't been eating at all, and I'm getting a bit worried. He used to live with turtles, and he never swam around when i was in the room then, but now he is all by himself. I put feeder fish in there, and he chases them around. Do you think I am getting worried too soon? Is there anything I could do to make the cichlid like me, or at least recognize me as his feeder? Thanks. :( :fish:
PGJE

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: HOW DO I MAKE CICHLID BRAVER???

Postby PGJE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I was wondering... would getting another cichlid be a good idea? Would that make the Texas come out more?
PGJE

Postby PGJE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:00 pm

he is about 6 inches long, and I've had him for almost a year
PGJE

Postby PGJE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:23 pm

I also noticed he has not been eating anything I put in the tank (but goldfish, which he only eats at night), and his poop is bright white. I read somewhere this could be stress or a disease?
PGJE

Postby Oscar6 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 pm

A couple of problems. Tank is at minimum 3x too small for a Tex, whether it be a true Texas or Carpintis. White poo is a sign of problems and it may be from the goldfish. The absolute WORST thing you can offer any cichlid. Full of parasites, pathogens that a cichlids immune system cant combat. Also contain Thiaminase, and enzyme that limits the fish's ability to process Vitamin B. All bad, nothing of any value to a cichlid. Your fish is stressed from improper care, lack of space, and likely contracted a parasite from filthy feeders.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby PGJE » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:41 pm

ok so he is not healthy... what could I do to make him better and swim around? :-?
PGJE

Postby Oscar6 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:52 pm

PGJE wrote:ok so he is not healthy... what could I do to make him better and swim around? :-?

You could try listening to and following at least some of the advice that has been forwarded to you in recent weeks. 95% of successful cichlid keeping is directly related to clean water, tankspace and quality diet. I recall you questioning if an Oscar would be a good mate for your Tex in a 30g. Answers were plain and simple. Tank is not big enough for EITHER fish, alone or mixed. Your take on that was drop Tex in a 23g. To address the probable parasite problem that Tex likely has, a treatment of anti parasite meds would be a start. Seachem Paraguard is a good med. It WONT work in iffy water parameters. Your fish needs a 75+gallon tank, and water with a nitrate reading well under 20ppm.. forever. I hope you don't take this as being rude or condescending in any way, but you need to do pretty well the opposite of what you have been doing.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby lilcaddy420 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:38 am

you put in red devil pretty soon youll have a handful of aggression I'm dealing with it now lol
lilcaddy420

Return to Central American Cichlids