Central American Cichlids • Stocking Advice

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Stocking Advice

Postby zimmy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm setting up a new 240G (8x2x2) tank. My original plan was to move my SA cichlids into the new tank but I'm having second thoughts (mainly because no plant can survive in the tank with them). The new tank will be set up with fine sand, large driftwood pieces, a few rocks and a plant such as vallisneria. I don't want a wet pet. My preference would be for a few large 8"+ cichlids that can co-exist with the described aquascape and without killing each other.

Suggestions?
zimmy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking Advice

Postby BC in SK » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 am

I would still think you would find more SA cichlids, then CA cichlids that would fit your description of coexisting peacefully and also fine with plants.
There are always a few exceptions where people have managed to keep plants with CA cichlids, but generally the odds will be against you. Some will eat them out right (pearsi and many of the Veija/Paratheraps), uproot them with constant digging or what often happens eventually, chew them up and spit them out.
Of course with SA cichlids it is also going to depend on which ones. Severums will often eat most plants so they are not usually plant friendly at all. With Geos, you may have to secure them down well with rocks to prevent them from being up rooted. But there are many SA cichlids that are just fine with plants. Festivum and angelfish, two examples amongst many.
BC in SK

Re: Stocking Advice

Postby Oscar6 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Always a coin toss mixing cichlids, CA or SA. While 8ft and 240g is a big tank for average home aquaria, its really not much with large, aggressive, territorial fish. I have a female Dovii, who, at only 6ins long took over an entire 265g with fish twice her size. Punched out an adult male JD and adult male RTM.. with ease. Odds of a compatible community are far greater with SA fish in my experience. Festae excluded, they can hang with almost any CA in a big enough tank.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Return to Central American Cichlids