Central American Cichlids • Extremely skittish Jack Dempsey

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Extremely skittish Jack Dempsey

Postby TrevorSB1004 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 am

So, I've had my Jack Dempsey in his 55 gallon tank across from my bed for about a year now. The first 6 months that I had him, he was actually quite social, but in the past 6 months or so, he's been the opposite. He hides under his big piece of slate in the corner of the tank all almost all day, and if he is out, he frantically darts back to his slate the second I walk by. The only time he comes out is in the morning and evening when I show him his food. I'm not really worried about him because he's healthy and eating, its just kind of annoying when my fish hides all day. Now is this normal behavior for Jack Dempseys or will he eventually grow out of it (still a juvenile fish).
TrevorSB1004

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Extremely skittish Jack Dempsey

Postby Old Newbie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 am

I have found that unless my tanks are exposed to constant traffic, the fish get skittish due to not see a lot of people or movement. It has also been my experience that very young fish do not exhibit this behavior as much and are usually quite social; seems that for me this has been something that they grow into.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby Ichthys » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:47 pm

Old Newbie wrote:I have found that unless my tanks are exposed to constant traffic, the fish get skittish due to not see a lot of people or movement. It has also been my experience that very young fish do not exhibit this behavior as much and are usually quite social; seems that for me this has been something that they grow into.

I totally agree. And if the fish is on it's own it's even worse.
Ichthys

Postby joselepiu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Ichthys wrote:
Old Newbie wrote:I have found that unless my tanks are exposed to constant traffic, the fish get skittish due to not see a lot of people or movement. It has also been my experience that very young fish do not exhibit this behavior as much and are usually quite social; seems that for me this has been something that they grow into.

I totally agree. And if the fish is on it's own it's even worse.

+1...
joselepiu

Postby BC in SK » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:37 am

I'd try housing it with some tank mates.
JD is really a poor candidate to be housed as "wet pet" for this very reason. Kept a lone, they are prone to become scared and skittish. I also agree that they become worse as larger adults. There brightly colored blue spots possibly make them easy targets for predatory birds and they would not frequent shallow water and would tend to avoid the surface.
Some dither fish such as a group of giant danios could be worth a try. A group of 4-10 that swim closer to the surface could go a long way in making your JD feel comfortable. You'd have to try and get the largest you can find as there is always risk your JD may end up eating them.
BC in SK

Postby PGJE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:58 pm

I have a Texas cichlid with a similar problem... do they just grow into it? Should I get him a tank mate? He is about 6 inches long and I've had him for nearly a year. He is all by himself in his tank.
PGJE

Postby joselepiu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:39 pm

PGJE wrote:I have a Texas cichlid with a similar problem... do they just grow into it? Should I get him a tank mate? He is about 6 inches long and I've had him for nearly a year. He is all by himself in his tank.

what size is the tank?... :-? :-? :-?
joselepiu

Return to Central American Cichlids