Central American Cichlids • Tankmates for an EBJD

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Tankmates for an EBJD

Postby HKistler13 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:59 am

I have a 3.5 inch EBJD in a 75 gallon tank by itself and was wondering what would be good tankmates for him? I have a Marineland 360 canister filter and the tank has pristine water conditions, it is fully cycled. Any input is greatly appreciated!

On a side note, I have a few fish in mind but have no experience with them and was wondering if they would be possible candidates or not. I like Jaguar Cichlids, Oscars and convicts. Not sure if those would be compatible with an EBJD in a 75 gallon or not but those are several that I like. Thanks again!
HKistler13

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tankmates for an EBJD

Postby Sherbert20968 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:56 pm

I just went from a 75G to 125G. I have a JD and a EBJD in with my arowana, 2 oscars, severum and a bunch of other cichlids. We also have a rope fish and peacock eel which are both an awesome addition. We got most of them together as babies. The EBJD is newer and we had him in our 40G community tank so it could get a little bigger.
Sherbert20968

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:50 pm

Sherbert20968 wrote:I just went from a 75G to 125G. I have a JD and a EBJD in with my arowana, 2 oscars, severum and a bunch of other cichlids. We also have a rope fish and peacock eel which are both an awesome addition. We got most of them together as babies. The EBJD is newer and we had him in our 40G community tank so it could get a little bigger.

Wow, the 125 gallon was a waste of money with that stock list.
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Maybe I should say that a larger tank would have been more appropriate considering the fact that some of your fish would be cramped in a 300 gallon aquarium when they are full grown.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:21 pm

HKistler13 wrote:I have a 3.5 inch EBJD in a 75 gallon tank by itself and was wondering what would be good tankmates for him? I have a Marineland 360 canister filter and the tank has pristine water conditions, it is fully cycled. Any input is greatly appreciated!

On a side note, I have a few fish in mind but have no experience with them and was wondering if they would be possible candidates or not. I like Jaguar Cichlids, Oscars and convicts. Not sure if those would be compatible with an EBJD in a 75 gallon or not but those are several that I like. Thanks again!

No for sure on the jags and oscars, they get way too big and aggressive for a normal JD much less an EBJD.
caldwelldaniel26

Return to Central American Cichlids