Central American Cichlids • Convict Eggs

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Convict Eggs

Postby rosalia314 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 pm

My con laid eggs. First time I saw them on the underside of a cave was Monday. Yesterday (Thursday) i believe the female moved them to an area of the cage that I cant see. Should they be wrigglers by now and will they stick to upper part of a cave while being wigglers? I ask because the mom has completely cleared all gravel under the cave to a bare bottom and no sign of wrigglers at the bottom of tank and no gravel for them to be in. Prior to moving the eggs im pretty sure i saw dots forming in the eggs which I assume are eyes.

Its friday night and shes still in the cave guarding it.
rosalia314

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Convict Eggs

Postby Old Newbie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm

When I had Convicts the eggs would usually hatch after 3 -5 days and the parents would move the fry to a hole that they dug and keep them there for a few days until they started to venture out on their own.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Re: Convict Eggs

Postby rosalia314 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm

That is in fact what happened, however it took until this morning to see fry. The mother must have moved them and now I can see swimmers. So total process took 7 days (egg to fry) They are now huddled together but I did see a few try to venture away from the group. The mother has once again rounded them up.
rosalia314

Return to Central American Cichlids