Central American Cichlids • Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Postby HKistler13 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:10 am

Hey there so I have a 95 gallon aquarium with perfect water parameters. It is planted and heavily filtered. I have four 2-3 inch discus, four angelfish, six electric blue german rams and two dwarf gouramis. I went to my LFS and saw some awesome discus and gbrs mixed with about 30 electric blue jack dempsies. I instantly wanted to purchase two of the ebjds but wanted to make sure they were compatible with my stocking. I asked him if the ebjds would go along well with my fish and he said they would. He said they are not aggressive like the regulas jds and that they would not bother my fish. I purchased two of them and so far so good. I have noticed behavior that is similar to the GBRs, slight chasing and mild aggression but I am wondering if my LFS was correct or just made a quick $50 on me, leaving me to deal with large issues later. Ideally, I would love to keep all these fish and in the same tank as I have no other means of accommodating them at the moment. Please let me know what you guys think.

-Harlan Kistler
HKistler13

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:56 pm

I personally don’t recommend keeping much of anything with discus because they are so sensitive. EBJD’s generally are more timid than the regular ones but not completely docile either, also they are an especially sensitive fish just like the discus. Never take the advice of an LFS. They profit from selling fish and that’s their first priority, not the health of your community. Always ask an unbiased source first.
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby HKistler13 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 pm

I’ve had the discus and everything else together for a year and haven’t lost a fish. I don’t plan on separating the established fish but I’m worried the EBJDs will eventually kill my electric blue rams. If they won’t, I don’t mind keeping them at all. They are awesome fish but I won’t trade my rams for them and cannot start another tank for the EBJDs. Thank you for your help!
HKistler13

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:36 pm

There’s no guarantee they won’t go after the rams eventually, I can only guarantee you that much lol. No problem though, glad to help any way I can
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Return to Central American Cichlids