Central American Cichlids • Firemouth female suddenly stopped spawning

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Firemouth female suddenly stopped spawning

Postby Cichlids_Dude » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm

So, my young firemouth female has had no interest in spawning for three months. I moved in the summer and the firemouths spawned two times after that. First time was after one day after they were added. The eggs were laid weirdly on a large area and they disappeared over night.

Second time soon after the first time female laid eggs in a pot where the male could not fit... After this the female has not been interested. She is running away from the male when he flares. I have noticed that the females egg laying tube has been constanly sticking out since the last spawn. Could it be damaged?

They are now dominant pair in my tank. Also water conditions are the same as before the move. I have a divider that I could use to let them be alone. How could I get them to spawn again? Any help would be appreciated!
140g tank: Firemouths,T bars, Rainbow cichlids,one Kribensis,Siamese algae eaters, Rainbow shark, Lemon tetras.
Cichlids_Dude

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Firemouth female suddenly stopped spawning

Postby FireHorn123 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 am

Make sure you do at least weekly water changes. You could rearrange the tank as well. At this point it’s a waiting game and you just have to let it happen when they want to
40gB- (2)Gold Severum, (2)Guppies [Unfinished]
30gL-(2)Rainbow Cichlid Pair, (5)White Skirt Tetras [Finished]
29g- (2) Kribensis Pair (4) Mixed Cory Cats [Nearly Finished]
20gL- (1)Male Dwarf Gourami [Unfinished]
10g-Unoccupied
450g Fountain Pond-[HEAVY WORK IN PROGRESS]
FireHorn123

Postby SantaMonicaHelp » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 pm

How many times has she spawned before this?

-Kamran
SantaMonicaHelp

Postby Cichlids_Dude » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:15 am

Thank you for advice! The firemouths have spawned five times if I remember correctly. They were a pair for about half year before the first spawn. Only pair that currently spawns are my small t bar cichlids. My rainbow cichlid female doesnt seem interested either. I have always had high PH in my tank so could that be what is wrong? Also the female firemouth is wery small compared to the male only one and half Inches. Because of her small size other fish bully her too expecially my cranky male kribensis.
140g tank: Firemouths,T bars, Rainbow cichlids,one Kribensis,Siamese algae eaters, Rainbow shark, Lemon tetras.
Cichlids_Dude

Postby Cichlids_Dude » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Today I placed a divider and the Firemouths are now alone. Few days ago the female seemed ready to spawn but nothing happened and now she is not interested anymore.
I will feed them bloodworms and rise temperature a little but I am seriously worried that the female is not able to spawn again.
I think her egg tube is damaged. Has anyone had similar situations with other cichlid females? Help please!
Cichlids_Dude

Postby Cichlids_Dude » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 am

Since nobody has any advice I assume my firemouth female's egg tube is damaged and that she isn't fertile anymore. So I will have to get a new female. Should I get the new female with my current one or should I sell her first and then get the new one?
Cichlids_Dude

Postby joselepiu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:29 am

it will be very helpful if you are able to post pics, so to see exactly what are you talking about...
joselepiu

Postby Cichlids_Dude » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:00 pm

I tried photobucket but I cant share the pictures with a free account so I will try to explain. Firemouth females egg laying tube is sticking out like with other cichlid females when they are about to lay eggs. My rainbow and t-bar cichlid females dont have it sticking out normally. Before she stopped spawning the tube retreated few days after laying eggs. Now it has been constantly out since the last spawn, which was a long time ago.
Cichlids_Dude

Postby joselepiu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:31 am

you can now add pics directly from your comp, bellow the ""full editor"" tab there is another tab called ""upload attachment""...
:fish: :fish: :fish:
joselepiu

Postby Cichlids_Dude » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks for advising me. Here are some pictures.
Attachments
IMG_20171218_172116502.jpg
Here are the male and female
IMG_20171218_174141.jpg
Here is a picture of the females tube
Cichlids_Dude

Return to Central American Cichlids