Central American Cichlids • Red devil in community tank?

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Red devil in community tank?

Postby JRW81 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:45 pm

I’m setting up a new 6ft 125 gallon tank. I putting 2 severums and 2 green terrors and maybe a Jack Dempsey in it. I have a 4 in red devil that I’m trying to figure out where to put. The RD is not aggressive at all right now but I know that can change quickly. They are all in a 4 ft tank right now and there is zero aggression in the tank, I know it’s overstocked. Has anyone had success with a RD in a community tank? Could it work with the severums and GTs? The severums have always ran the tank with the RD being at the bottom of the hierarchy. Any experience would be appreciated
JRW81

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Red devil in community tank?

Postby FireHorn123 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:00 am

It does work in bigger tanks than a 125 but at 4in I think it will be fine for a while
40gB- (2)Gold Severum, (2)Guppies [Unfinished]
30gL-(2)Rainbow Cichlid Pair, (5)White Skirt Tetras [Finished]
29g- (2) Kribensis Pair (4) Mixed Cory Cats [Nearly Finished]
20gL- (1)Male Dwarf Gourami [Unfinished]
10g-Unoccupied
450g Fountain Pond-[HEAVY WORK IN PROGRESS]
FireHorn123

Postby Oscar6 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:53 am

When the RD gets to a sufficient size, it will most likely shred all the other fish. Mild mannered South American cichlids are no match for the aggressive CA's. Temper, jaw strength and dentition all favor the RD. Upper echelon CA cichlids, RD is at or near the top btw, all carry a kill switch. Just a matter of time until it goes off, and when it does, all other fish must be able to handle themselves. Creampuffs like Severum stand no chance
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby JRW81 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:07 pm

My last one I knew at 2 inches he would have to live solo. This one is so mellow that even the columbian tetra go after her. So I was thinking it could work. May try it and if it doesn’t work I can always move her to her own tank. If anyone has done it before let me know how it worked out. Thanks
JRW81

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 pm

It's very unlikely to work out long term in a tank of that size. You'd need something 2-3 times that size to really have much hope. My adult males are kept individually in 120gal tanks, and there is no way there is room for anyone else. If it's a female your chances go up a smidge, but still unlikely. Put them together for now but keep a very close eye on the devil as it grows, and be prepared to put in a divider or remove the devil at a moment's notice when things go sideways.
SinisterKisses

180gal: Argentea, Regani, Heterospila
125gal: Goldfish tank
120gal: Midas male
5gal: Bettas
Sinister-Kisses

Return to Central American Cichlids