Central American Cichlids • Pantano's Paradise -- My 220gal Thread

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Pantano's Paradise -- My 220gal Thread

Postby CjCichlid » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:29 am

For those of you who caught it.. I hope you liked my mildly clever, yet extremely cheesy thread title. :roll:

I've been pretty much MIA for some time now here on the forums. Now that the craziness of the Holidays is over, I'm really going to make an effort to be more active on here!

Some of you may remember my old ongoing thread: https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=237760. Well, the days of the 135gal have come and gone and I now have a 220gal. When I initially set it up, it was quite bare and even had a divider. Fast forward a few months and after several failed attempts, I have finally integrated my female pearsei into the tank without the use of a divider.

Now that the tank is finally worthy of being seen, I put together a short video the other night.

Quick run down of the setup...
220gal (6'x2'x30")
Filtration: 2x SunSun 304's, 1x Marineland C530
Lighting: 48" Current Satellite LED+ and a single 10 watt 6500k LED spotlight
Stocking: 2x Cincelichthys pearsei aka Pantano cichlid (thread title make sense now?), 1x Maskaheros argenteus, 20x Buenos Aires Tetras (replicating the biotope correct astyanax fasciatus)

Be sure to watch it in HD!

Thanks for reading and watching. Hopefully I'll continue posting updates here! :fish:
-Chris

220gal Central American Community
Updates, pics and vids: https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=375394
CjCichlid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Pantano's Paradise -- My 220gal Thread

Postby Ruthiebaby88 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:36 am

Wow! gorgeous! I love the combo of the tiny fish with the huge ones.
Ruthiebaby88

Postby Cichlid Debby » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:35 am

They look fantastic, CJ!
I can barely tell the two P's apart.

Perfect set up for them!

Deb
Cichlid Debby

Postby CjCichlid » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks Ruth and Deb.

Deb, she has certainly put on some size and has even colored up more so than she was. They have been together for several months now and are doing great together. No true signs of spawning, however they do flirt quite a bit once I dim the lights in the evening.
-Chris

Updates, pics and vids: https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=375394
CjCichlid

Postby smitty » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:34 pm

Very nice tank and everything looks really good.
150gal- Dovi; 3 AC 110 P. Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maclcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC 110 P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5
smitty

Postby CjCichlid » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Quick update..

Nothing has changed in the 220gal however last weekend I came across (and purchased) a group of 10x Thorichthys pasionis and 9x Thorichthys meeki. They are currently in a temporary 40gal breeder grow out tank. It's nothing special, just some sand and a few oak branches. Here's a short video, be sure to watch in HD..

Hoping to move a decent number of them into the 220gal once they put on some size. As you can see from the video, both the pasionis and meeki look pretty much indistinguishable. The pasionis have a more elongated body, while the meeki have a bolder black spot on their operculum.

In other news, my "pair" of pearsei have been showing quite a bit of interest in spawning. Lots of displaying, as well as some digging and rock cleaning. Hoping it's just a matter of time before I get my first spawn from them.

I have also been contemplating selling my argentea. As much as I like that fish, each day that passes my pearsei make my 220 look smaller and smaller. With the eventual addition of the group of Thorichthys, I feel as if it just may be too much. It would certainly be hard letting him go though as he is such a good looking fish.
-Chris

CjCichlid

Postby adamsfishes » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:33 am

Sweet tank. I wish I could fit a 6 foot tank ...

Are those branches oak?

I like your taste in fish.
adamsfishes

Postby CjCichlid » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:05 am

Thanks Adam. Yes, all the branches (in the 220 and 40) are oak collected from around my yard.
-Chris

CjCichlid

Postby Kobie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:17 am

Gorgeous tanks. I hope to have a beautiful and well intergrated tank setup like this one day!
Kobie

Postby busterny » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:40 am

:D
CjCichlid wrote:Thanks Adam. Yes, all the branches (in the 220 and 40) are oak collected from around my yard.

How did you pull the bark off the branches? I am soaking some now, and it's almost impossible to peel it off.
Ps. The tank looks amazing,
90 G Malawi
90G severums, symspyllum, calvus
75G Rockteill severum, geophagus red head tapajo
55G tang
29G cobue afra
20G long julidochromis regani kipilli
busterny

Postby CjCichlid » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:06 am

busterny wrote:How did you pull the bark off the branches? I am soaking some now, and it's almost impossible to peel it off.
Ps. The tank looks amazing,

Thanks. I do not remove any of the bark, they are exactly how they came off the tree. With time, the bark often begins to fall off or the fish pick at it. I catch them eating it sometimes and my BN pleco likes to chew on it as well.
-Chris

CjCichlid

Postby busterny » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks, and glad to hear. I always wondered if there was any effect on the water. It doesn't seem as if you are having any issues. Now I have to pick up a BN to help out.
90 G Malawi
90G severums, symspyllum, calvus
75G Rockteill severum, geophagus red head tapajo
55G tang
29G cobue afra
20G long julidochromis regani kipilli
busterny

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:43 pm

Sorry, I might have missed it in the details somewhere, but what sand did you use for this? I'm in a position where I can change the sand in my tank if I want to (from the stuff I've been complaining I don't really like - but it has grown on me so I'm debating whether to keep it or change it). I can get pool filter sand locally and am trying to get a visual of how the pearsei will look over it.
SinisterKisses

135gal 8ft: Hap/peacock all male
40gal long: L. caeruleus and Cynotilapia sp. "hara"
33gal: N. brichardi and N. leleupi grow out
Sinister-Kisses

Postby CjCichlid » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Sinister, I'm sure my answer will be of no help as I am so late in replying but I used a pool filter sand that I bought locally. It is a larger grain sand and settles very quickly compared to the old quikrete sand I used previously in my 135gal. I also have some gravel and river rock mixed in to give the substrate an overall more natural appearance.
-Chris

CjCichlid

Postby CjCichlid » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:46 pm

A few recent pics from my phone..

Follow the leader.. male pearsei following female.

Male pearsei

Male argentea
-Chris

CjCichlid

Next

Return to Central American Cichlids