Central American Cichlids • best way to sex a jack dempsey?

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Re: best way to sex a jack dempsey?

Postby Clown88 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:46 am

dsouthworth wrote:It's by the color pattern kn the body

Male:

Female:

Notice hPw te male has more color on the body, whereas the female's is duller. Also the females ten to have the jewels on the gill plate behind their jaw.

With smaller fish it is very hard to do this.

it's beautiful
Clown88

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby freshwaterhobby » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:02 am

Deceev wrote:How soon (approx) can you start seeing these identifying makrings?

My fry are about a year old (1"-2") and I can already see major differences in size, head shape, and even the gill / body coloration differences.
freshwaterhobby

Postby lbgargoyle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:17 pm

I have 2 Jack Demseys. I had to separate them because they started lip locking & got very aggressive about it. I originally put a divider in my 75gal tank but they would dig & bash at it & knock it down. So I now have them in different tanks. When they were together they did lay eggs but none since they have been separated. If they are male & female should I just let them hash it out or should I keep them separate?? It does not matter to me if they have babies or not. But I did like having more than 1 fish in my main tank :) They both look like females to me but they are my first fresh water fish. Here is one of the fish if someone could tell me what sex it is? Thank You for any help.
Attachments
Lrg Tank2.jpg
Lrg Tank.jpg
lbgargoyle

Postby lbgargoyle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:19 pm

here is my other JD can someone tell me what sex it is. Thanks
Attachments
Sm Tank2.jpg
Sm Tank.jpg
lbgargoyle

Postby freshwaterhobby » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:05 pm

lbgargoyle wrote:I have 2 Jack Demseys. I had to separate them because they started lip locking & got very aggressive about it. I originally put a divider in my 75gal tank but they would dig & bash at it & knock it down. So I now have them in different tanks. When they were together they did lay eggs but none since they have been separated. If they are male & female should I just let them hash it out or should I keep them separate?? It does not matter to me if they have babies or not. But I did like having more than 1 fish in my main tank :) They both look like females to me but they are my first fresh water fish. Here is one of the fish if someone could tell me what sex it is? Thank You for any help.

This one looks like a female to me. All the color on the gill plate, the head shape, not as much color on the body...reminds me of my female.
freshwaterhobby

Postby freshwaterhobby » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:08 pm

lbgargoyle wrote:here is my other JD can someone tell me what sex it is. Thanks

Harder to tell with the second one you posted. Shadow on the face obscures features. Has features of both - gill color and body color. Can you try another photo of the face?
freshwaterhobby

Postby lbgargoyle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for your help. Here are a couple more photos of my second JD. It runs every time I try to take a picture :)
Attachments
Sm Tank #3.jpg
Sm Tank #2.jpg
lbgargoyle

Previous

Return to Central American Cichlids