Central American Cichlids • Leave convict fry with parents or separate?

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Leave convict fry with parents or separate?

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:30 pm

What is the general consensus on how long to leave convict fry with the parents?

Mine have bred twice and ate the first batch and most of the 2nd batch.
55g (soon 75) - 1 Oscar (5"), 1 spotted raphael, 10 Tiger barbs, 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
20L Planted - 1 HRP "Rio Danli", 8 pristella tetras, 2 unsexed HRP
15g - 5 unsexed Cutteri "Rio Jutiapa"
Chubbs the Jellybean

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby TheFishGuy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:43 pm

LEt them go this third time. I feed fry pretty well so I have no problem removing half the spawn a couple of days after free swimming...
TheFishGuy

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:47 pm

I have a spare 10 gallon that I have an extra filter on the 15 for for this situation... The fry that did survive from the last batch got to be about 1/8 inch? Little bigger I guess, but the parents bullied and were about to eat them when I removed them (only to be fed to the 90 gallon haha)... But I'd like to grow a few of them out and was wondering which would be the best way to do this, since people say cons are good parents
55g (soon 75) - 1 Oscar (5"), 1 spotted raphael, 10 Tiger barbs, 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Oh - so I was watching the 90 for a few minutes to relax, and noticed two of the fry are still alive from 3 days ago! They're hiding inside the driftwood, I guess they're nabbing food when nobody's looking haha - I thought they'd have been eaten by now since my stock list is what it is

Anyways back to the question lol
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby TheFishGuy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Never ubderestimate the resilience of a convict!
TheFishGuy

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Yup!

So I think once the fry go free-swimming I'm going to do what you did TFG - I'm going to remove half the batch and put them in the 10 gallon and leave the other half with mom and dad
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby Quan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Mine are a week old and still with the parents. I haven't even fed them yet. I'm gonna wait another week and then seperate a few of them.
convict
flowerhorn zz
thai silk flowerhorn
red devil/midas
EBJD
royal pleco
Quan

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:57 pm

They're probably going to lay eggs in the next day or two, so i'm excited :)
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby adrianf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 am

My convict fry are now 2 weeks old and still with the parents. Although we did start with around 50-60 fry we are now down to around 30. I am getting another tank set up to transfer the fry to, hopefully house move tomorrow.

It looks like the female is coloring up again and starting to get a little wider so maybe they are getting ready to spawn again. Are they usually able to spawn again so soon?

Adrian
adrianf

Postby MonteSS » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:50 am

When Mom and the new free swimmers were in the spawning cave, I removed the entire thing to the 10g including mom. Worked out well and fry are growing out nicely. I removed mom after a couple weeks as I saw no advantage of keeping her thin there. Sadly she did get killed when I reintroduced her to the comunity.

A first fed de-encapsulated brine shrimp egg (TheFishGuy turned me on to those) and now that tey are bigger i still feed that plus crushed flake and Hikari Cichlid Gold that I turned to powder with an old fashioned mortar and pestle. I alternate about 6 times a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qJ3CW7-lI

GL with them....Bill
75g CA- HRP x Con hybrid pair. Three Nicaraguense
46g Male Apistos
MonteSS

Postby Quan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:10 am

How big is your male convict Bill? I like your tank setup. That's alot of fry.
convict
flowerhorn zz
thai silk flowerhorn
red devil/midas
EBJD
royal pleco
Quan

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 am

Do you recommend just using a bare-bottom aquarium for a fry tank?

I have a 10g waiting for them that has gravel in it (not filled with water yet) - Should i take out the gravel and just leave a cichlid stone and a plant?

Just wanna do this right haha, saw that baby convict in the 90 gallon again this afternoon - he's looking pretty good :)
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby MonteSS » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 am

I forgot to say that those are HRP not Cons, but same idea. Male is still young and about 4". Female is mature and about 2 years old and 4". I think the bigger older mature females have bigger spawns. Although my 4.5" 2 year old female Con has very small broods so there goes that idea.

You want to keep a fry tank as clean as possible to keep nitrates down. Bare bottom is easiest to clean, although vacuuming the debris is tough with the little guys swarming.

....Bill
75g CA- HRP x Con hybrid pair. Three Nicaraguense
46g Male Apistos
MonteSS

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 am

Alright, I'm gonna leave the gravel because it's already in there, after the fry are free swimming for a few days I'm gonna bring them over to the 10g and see if I can raise them there, since mom and dad don't seem to be making any plans to stop breeding :lol:
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby adrianf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:25 am

Well I moved my convicts and fry this morning. Was a bit concerned that eithe mummand dad would reject or eat them but everything seems ok. Moved the fry first and mum
And dad went absolutely ballistic attached everything in site, plants fish snails my hand everything. Took ages to catch mum and dad after and just about had to demolish the tankscaping to get them. But looks like the main tank is now stress free and the fry,mum,dad are busy exploring their new domain.

Adrian
adrianf

Next

Return to Central American Cichlids