Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Who owns the largest Jack Dempsey on here?

17K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Countsd 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

What is the largest Jack Dempsey that somebody owns on here?

It could also be a friends Jack Dempsey if you want.

I want to see if anyone has anything 9 inch plus.

Provide photos too if possible.

Thanks

#2 ·
My JD is 9inches, I think it hasn't grow any longer in the past few months.

So here is the best picture I could get to show the length of it. My 55 gallon is 12 inches front to back. You can see that there from the picture. My JD take up about 9 inches of that. His lip was right on the back wall there. Hes wasn't totally straight or else its a bit longer.

#3 ·
I just purchased a male JD from an auction yesterday. He is one of the largest I've seen. I would estimate him to be close to 10 inches. I will try to get a pic up soon.

#5 ·
Amazing JD LSboost would love to see some more pics of him if you get the time.

10 inch is amazing, Gverde try and get a photo up

Mine has hit 8 and a half inch and doesnt seem to want to grow anymore.

Does anyone know what the largest recorded was ever?

#8 ·
12 inch that is crazy.

Gverde really nice Jack any estimates as to how old it might be?

#10 ·
Thats a better pic, how much was he? Really nice JD, do you know his history, what size tank he was in before?

#11 ·
That's a big JD gverde. I'm also wondering how old he is. Mine is only 2 years old (counting from the time I got it at 1.5-2inches).

Here are a few pictures I took a while back (already posted on some thread on here). I'm busy for the next few days, I'll try to get more later. The color really showed up on these. There are blue on the tail and an orange strip on the top fin but it's hard to capture.

#12 ·
LSboost you forgot to mention its size as of now ;) looks around 8 - 9 inch am I right?

#13 ·
You have a nice looking JD also LSBoost. I paid $10 for mine at the Chicago Area Cichlid Aasociation Auction. What a steal huh. I just couldn't pass him up. I guess no one wanted him because he was so big. There was a couple of large red devils in the 10 inch range that was auctioned for 5-6 dollar also . I would have bid for one but I already have a 8-9 in. Red Devil in my 220 gallon tank. I thought there may be a war when I put the JD in the tank but the JD didn't want anything to do with the RD. The RD chases the JD around when he gets too close to her but other than that leaves the JD alone. I really have no info on how old he is or what size tank he was in so hopefully he isn't very old.

#14 ·
That was a real bargain. Amazing prices. From looking at yours gverde it looks like it has to be 5 or more years old it looks really mature it makes my 8 inch look quite young and mine is 2 years old. I suppose for a JD 5 - 6 years old is not that bad at all.

Can you get any photos of it with the RD? Nice combo there

#15 ·
marinerm10, I think you you are correct. I would estimate him to be around 5 years old.
I'll try to get a photo of them together tonight. It may be kind of hard though. If I can't get them close together, I'll take a pic of the red devil.

#22 ·
It does have girl features around the gills but male too under the eye.... but can females really hit 9"?

I'll go with male too

#24 ·
lol really, 9" females are pretty rare though right?

Whats the story with yours, where did you rescue it from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.