Central American Cichlids • This is what your hybrids could look like. So don't do it.

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Postby Nathan43 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:12 pm

That looks more HRP then convict imo
I like snowcones & cartwheels...AND BLOOD!
Nathan43

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby jamesman_1994 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:43 pm

holy @#$! dude the texas jag is one of the coolest fish i have ever seen. is it agressive
jamesman_1994

Postby Riceburner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

beauty is in the eye of the beholder....you just might have inspired someone to breed a specific hybrid.
Riceburner

hybrids

Postby dfasking » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 am

I have it happening rite now not on purpas but iwoke up and my green texas salvini were garding babys. i bet they will look cool both perints r verry colerfull
dfasking

Postby Diaster » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Is the texas/jag aggressive? Well you can go ahead and guess on that it, may not play nice with guppies :P
Stay away from the voodoo
Diaster

Postby milkmaid » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:05 pm

Well, call me old fashioned or a stick in the mud or what have you. Maybe a "purist" even, but I hate the whole idea of the hybrids....and believe it or not, I just rescued two large Red Parrots just so I could get my hands on a 55 gallon set up!

There are so many species of cichlids going extinct on our planet that I would rather breed quality strains of purebred cichlids, not hybrids. But we each have our own agendas and ideas and personal tastes.

I brought up this old post as i thought it was interesting, hope that was ok.
Back in the saddle again!
milkmaid

Postby Gliven » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:15 am

lotsofish wrote:It makes me think of dog crosses. Some mutts can look pretty good but I've never seen a cross with a basset hound that looked very good.

Anyway, I wouldn't breed mutts and I wouldn't breed hybrid fish. Still, I wouldn't mind owning either.

Hey I resent that lol. Here is my basset/beagle mutt Image[/list]
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Gliven

Postby Leucistic Guy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 am

Both are hound so it's not strange @ all.
BTW: Your dog is really cool.
I luv beagles too.
I'd buy one like that in a sec.

Gliven wrote:
lotsofish wrote:It makes me think of dog crosses. Some mutts can look pretty good but I've never seen a cross with a basset hound that looked very good.

Anyway, I wouldn't breed mutts and I wouldn't breed hybrid fish. Still, I wouldn't mind owning either.

Hey I resent that lol. Here is my basset/beagle mutt Image[/list]

I have some Texacon that happened by accident in my mixed tank.
Dads a tex & moms a pink con.
Most will end up a feeders, but I'll try to keep a few.
I've noticed most have taken on the dads genes.
I noticed 1 or 2 that are almost silver. They're much smaller & aren't growing as fast.
I may try to save 1 or both if I can.

I like the Firecons, I have both in my mixed tank but they've never tried yet.
I'd personally try to sell any of these guys.
Maybe as feeders if any one wanted them, this is just so they wouldn't try to re-sell them if they got them for free.
Leucistic Guy

Re: This is what your hybrids could look like. So don't do i

Postby TangJeff » Sun May 01, 2016 10:45 am

Sorry for digging this up, but I have heard of a Convict/Red Zebra cross. Is that even possible? Old World and New World hybrids?
TangJeff

Postby BC in SK » Sun May 01, 2016 4:50 pm

TangJeff wrote:Sorry for digging this up, but I have heard of a Convict/Red Zebra cross. Is that even possible? Old World and New World hybrids?

No it has not been demonstrated that a new world X old world cichlid cross is possible. IMO, a claim of a convict X red zebra cross is more then likely bogus.
Not only are they likely too genetically distant, but it is a cross between substrate spawner and mouth brooder. So behavior and spawning method would be a hurdle, not to mention the fact no cichlid cross has ever been shown to be possible from cichlids that genetically distant. Scientists have achieved numerous crosses between Coptodon species (substrate spawners) with Oreochromis species (mouth brooders) for purposes of research in aquaculture. These are all African cichlids; all "tilapines" and all fairly closely related . These crosses are not considered very viable as few offspring are produced. And none of these crosses are actually used in aquaculture.
All the crosses in this thread are crosses with in the Heroine tribe. CA cichlids as well as festae from SA. I have seen a thread where some one crossed a convict with a chanchitto (Austroloheros species) and produced fry, but that is another Heroine form the southern part of SA. DNA studies show that the chanchittos are very closely related to CA cichlids. I also seen a thread where a claimed convict X severum produced 1 fry. The supposed cross actually looked the part :o Many people doubt that such a cross is possible..... though a severum is currently considered part of the same tribe as CA cichlids (Heroine), though DNA studies indicate it is a little more distantly related. No cross between an acara, geophagus or pike cichlid has been shown to be possible with a CA cichlid. The limit for CA crosses appears to be with in the tribe Heroine.
BC in SK

Postby BC in SK » Tue May 03, 2016 8:00 am

I know this is an old thread, but since it has already been brought back from the dead, got to comment on the original post.
Looking at the video of the supposed convict X midas hybrid , I don't buy it at all. I think it is just a regular convict.
With out pictures of the parents, I have my doubts. Who identified the parents? Already have seen large male 'pink' cons identified by noobs, as midas a number of times. Seen many threads where people new to the hobby identify large male cons with nuchal humps as flowerhorn x convict, just because they are not familiar enough with the different ways a more developed convict might look.
Seen claims of a GT x JD......only to see later that both parents are JD and the poster is unfamiliar with what a breeding female JD looks like. Just one example.
I'm not going to say it is impossible for the offspring of a hybrid cross to look like only one parent, because we know it is sometimes possible. But so far all the known convict crosses look at least a little odd for a convict. With out seeing the parents, I would bet they were mis-identifed by someone.
BC in SK

Re: KNIFE FISH

Postby skull » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:01 am

Diaster wrote:Look at the size of the knife fish behind the Parrot and Firemouth that thing is massive unless its like a blown up picture or something

Nah man they can get huge when I was a kid my dad had a 6 ft tank with one about nearly 30cm long with a plecostamus about the same size and some huge tinfoils
but I never see them anymore only the black ghost knife fish it,s ashame
skull
skull

Postby Granamyr » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:55 am

Clown knives get a lot bigger than that even. Just take a look at this video. Hopefully this is why knife fish are not in the hobby much anymore because they probably shouldn't be in normal home aquariums. Granted Iridescent sharks shouldn't be either and I still see them in fish stores when i walk around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jd1JWEi1jA
90 gallon
4 Threadfin Acara 7 Apistogramma Baenschi 7 Emperor Tetras
1 Blue Phantom Pleco (L128)
Granamyr

Postby UB15 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Just figured out why my tank is in upheaval. There are fry in there from a firemouth and a convict. The remaining fish are freaking out. Now what??
UB15

Postby BC in SK » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 pm

UB15 wrote:The remaining fish are freaking out. Now what??

If the pair is too aggressive, siphon the fry out into a pale. Then you can feed them back a little later.
Or remove the parents to separate tanks for a short "time out".
BC in SK

PreviousNext

Return to Central American Cichlids