Central American Cichlids • 40b stocking question

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Re: 40b stocking question

Postby Tom Jones » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:00 pm

CjCichlid wrote:I'd reconsider your stock as well...

I'd stick with:
1x male Convict
1x male Firemouth
1x Red Tailed Black Shark

And then maybe add some some form of dither fish.

Hello! Sorry for being late to the party, it was a long walk. :P

I'm sorry to revive this old post but I've been looking for interesting ways to stock my 40B tank for a while, and one with different species would interest me more than a single specie tank.

The most recent replies I'm getting are pretty much recommending not going Malawis in a 40B, except maybe Saulosis or Yellow Labs, but I found some old recommandations (like yours here) with more diverse options, and even though it's not a Malawi tank it would fit my tastes :) So I wondered if you'd still recommend this stocking in 2020.

So if you don't mind I have a few questions:

1. Would you still recommend those three fishes together ?

2. What would you recommend as dither fish with those biggies ? I see Tiger Barbs mentioned a lot and I like the fact that we could get different colors in the same school. But I'm open to other dither fish as well.

3. If you have any other suggestions for a 40B that would includes at least one "big" fish, I'd love to read them!

(I like colored ones, but also those black and white ones, the ones I like the less are the grayish/brownish ones. I really like Rams too but would prefer if I could at least incorporate a big one in there)

And when I say big, don't worry I don't expect 10 inches fish. But like, starting at 4 inches :) Thanks!
Tom Jones

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fishboy75 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:07 am

I wouldn't put those three fish together in a 40 gallon personally. The convict is way more aggressive than a Firemouth and a Red tailed shark is more bluff than bite. They can be absolute terrors with peaceful community fish but wouldn't stand a chance with a convict. If you're not opposed to mixing continents a Jewel Cichlid would be of more equal temperament but its not like they will coexist peacefully. A pair of breeding convicts is very interesting to watch and would be fine in there. But you have to figure out what to do with all the babies because there will be a constant supply. For a dither quick enough to escape their attacks, I would recommend Giant Danios.
fishboy75

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Angels aren't harem breeders, you'll be aiming for one m/f pair in the tank. Buy a group of 6 juveniles to grow out, and once you see a pair has formed, pull out the rest. Angels get pretty nasty when they breed and won't tolerate the others, they'll get bullied. The rams will be targets too, so make sure to provide lots of ground cover for them as they stick towards the bottom.
SinisterKisses

40gal long: soon to be mbuna
33gal: soon to be N. brichardi
Sinister-Kisses

Previous

Return to Central American Cichlids