Central American Cichlids • Jack Dempsey 29 Gal

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Jack Dempsey 29 Gal

Postby TrevorSB1004 » Sat May 09, 2020 5:17 am

I'm currently conflicted. I acquired a baby jack dempsey a little over 2 years ago and stuck him in a 29 gallon I had picked up for the low (it has quite unusual dimensions, 3 ft opposed to traditional 30" w/ a 29 gal, & is 13 inches deep). The issue is that now the jd is a bit beyond 7 inches. He's alone, and I do take good care of him (weekly water changes, quality diet w/ variation, excessive filtration, the works). The reason I am conflicted is because I don't know if its cruel to keep him in the 29. He seems to have sufficient turning room, the tank is just shy of being 2x deeper than he is long. Never gotten sick, but I have been noticing that my jd hides a lot during the day and always has a few scales missing from dinging rocks when he gets spooked. I am absolutely maxed out on space, so a tank upgrade isn't an option (change in living arrangements-college student). SO, if you were in my situation, would you let the jd chill in the 3 foot 29 gallon indefinitely until I can upgrade the tank, or just rehome it? I enjoy the fish a lot, especially because I've had it since it was a baby and it is also a ferocious eater as you'd expect, but I would appreciate some outside opinions :) Thank you
-Trevor
Attachments
B98BB563-9B27-43A7-9BA2-32D81BDA51E3.jpeg
A picture I snagged of him before typing this ~3 am, was not happy to be disturbed
TrevorSB1004

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Jack Dempsey 29 Gal

Postby Oscar6 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:03 pm

Kudos on the good care you are giving him. Just eyeballing the pic, and going with the 13in width, the tank appears to have more height. 36x13x15 is 30g. Are you sure about the 29g volume? If I may ask, what is your tank size restriction? If 3ft is max length, there are plenty of options to gain valuable volume. There is a 3ft 65g that is quite common. If you can go 4ft, but retain the foot or so width, a standard 55g would be welcome by your guy. He may also not be fully grown, and could possibly reach 10ins. You could remove the rocks, add some plastic plants, maybe a piece of driftwood. Still give him some cover, maybe lessen the chance of scrapes.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Re: Jack Dempsey 29 Gal

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Sat May 16, 2020 6:42 pm

+1 on the four foot tank. If you don't have the space for a 65, you could try the 40 breeder with the same dimensions. They can be very cheap at big box stores. Stands can also be cheap at the big box stores. However, I really would try to avoid keeping him in anything less than 4 ft long. If you can't upgrade to a 4 footer, please try your best to rehome him. Ohio Fish Rescue is a great place and they will let you visit him anytime.
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Return to Central American Cichlids