Central American Cichlids • Trichromis salvini

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Trichromis salvini

Postby BC in SK » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:44 pm

A thread for anything and everything to do with Trichromis salvini.
Pictures and video. Links to information and articles. Discussion on tank size, set ups, tank mates, spawning behavior, aggression, growth, size ect., ect.
Sort of like a minature Trimac, Salvini is one of my favorite cichlids. Started keeping them back in 2001 and have kept them ever since.
A picture of my current male with one of his young females:
A video of salvini in my 180 gal. set up:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlpAVdEYnyc
And a picture from back in 2002 of a Male salvini guarding fry:
BC in SK

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Trichromis salvini

Postby BC in SK » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:42 pm

An article on salvini with some good information: https://cichlidae.com/article.php?id=109
Some video from the past (2015) showing the parents of my current male. Here with fry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt6wSQ6DJV8 And here with wrigglers:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1LLvVUQX9A
Also a young pair I had in my 90 gal. during the same period of time (2015). A couple more short, low quality videos showing the young pair with fry:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7p9PhUjfdU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jkzy9ZIc9I

And a picture from 2013 of a male salvini threatening with a large female Blackbelt:
These were the parents of all the salvinis from the videos in this post (female top left side and male in the center, defending his area from female Blackbelt)
BC in SK

Postby BC in SK » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Like a lot of CA cichlids, salvinis have more colorful females, then males. IME, males will lose their yellow coloration and turn more blue with size and age. usually by the time there around 3 years old or around 7" or more they become a primarily blue, rather then yellow fish.
An example is this male at young age:
Same male, a little older, on right side of picture. Note the difference in color from young female in center of picture:
And another picture (2008) of a male I had that became blue with a liitle age and size:
Some pictures of young females i have had:
BC in SK

Postby BC in SK » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:37 pm

Some video of my salvinis in my 180 gal. showing older male with blue coloration paired and the younger yellow female he is currently paired up with:
phpBB [video]
BC in SK

Postby BC in SK » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Some video of my salvinis in my 180 gal. showing older male with blue coloration and a younger yellow female that he is currently paired up with:
BC in SK

Postby Deeda » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:11 pm

I love the pics for this species, beautiful fish!
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby BC in SK » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:35 am

Salvini has been a commonly available cichlid for quite some time now. They were available from the box stores pretty much 365 days a year for almost a decade. But sometime about 2 years ago, the box stores stopped carrying them. I think a lot of people tried them and for what ever reasons, they did not really catch on. Tried briefly and then moved on to something else. Now, many of the pet shops stopped carrying them due to low demand.
It's the bright colors that initially draws many people to salvini. But I see 2, possibly 3 main reasons, why salvini has not really caught on.
1st is it's aggression. Particularly males and/or pairs can be very nasty. But IMO it's primarily dependent on what you keep it with and size of tank.
Secondly, in many situations, the fish can stay scared, become very skittish and hide. IMO it needs an active, well stocked tank to be comfortable in. The larger and older it gets, the more prone it is to becoming overly fearful.
And thirdly, I suspect that salvini is less tolerant of poor water conditions then most CA cichlids. It needs decent water conditions to thrive (unlike say, the convict cichlid which will do OK even despite poor water quality).
So first, I'd like to discuss tankmates. In the 18+ years I've been keeping the fish, I've kept salvini with quite a variety of fish and other cichlids. List of all the fish I have kept it with:
CA Cichlids: Convicts, Jack Dempsey, Dovii, Black Belt.
SA Cichlids: Oscar, Red Terror (Mesoheros festae), Angelfish
African Cichlid: Coptodon zillii, Jewel cichlid (Hemichromis guttatus), Zebra Obliquidens (Astatotilapia latifasciata), Astatotilapia bloyeti
African cichlid from lake Malawi: "zebra" types of some sort, Auratus, Kenyi, Bumble Bee (Pseudotropheus crabro), electric yellow, Demasoni, Acei, Sunshine Peacock, Electric Blue ahli (Sciaenochromis fryeri.
Non cichlids: Red Bellied Piranha, Red tailed shark, Rainbow shark, blue/gold/opaline/3-spot gourami, Moonlight Gourami, Giant Danio, Common Pleco (Ptergoplichthys pardalis, BN pleco, Chinese algae eater.

I have kept Salvini in 6 ft. tanks, 180 gal and 125 gal., and in 4ft. 100 gal., 90 gal. , 75 gal. (usually at younger and smaller size), and as very young fish in 33 gal, 29 gal. and 15 gal.
At least in the size of tanks I have, many on this list have proven to be far too violent, and would never house them together again. IME, salvini get along well enough with all the African mouth brooders I have kept them with. Sturdy bottom feeders and loaches usually do OK, and gouramis usually receive even less attention. IME, always a lot of "friction" with male salvini and any other substrate spawning cichlid, though single females have gotten along considerably better.
BC in SK

Return to Central American Cichlids