Central American Cichlids • Convict Cichlid

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Convict Cichlid

Postby BC in SK » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:06 am

A thread for any thing and everything to do with the Convict Cichlid.
Pictures and video. Links to information and articles. Discussion on tanks, tank size, tank mates, set ups, spawning and other behavior, aggression, size, growth ect. ect.
Still my favorite cichlid after all these years. Larger males are sort of like a miniature Midas cichlid, but with a little less attitude.
A picture of one of my current males:
A picture of my current 'pink' male with one of the 'pink' females in front:
Some video from 125 gal. Convict Cichlid tank:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphIlCk4TmY
And picture from back in 2011, of male and female convict cichlid:
BC in SK

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Convict Cichlid

Postby BC in SK » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 pm

Male convicts get considerably larger then the females. Males can get up to 6" or more and weigh over 100 grams.
While males can be more impressive due to their larger size, deeper bodies, nuchal humps and nicer finnage, females are almost always the more colorful. 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" is a fairly typical size for mature females. Largest I've ever had was 4 3/4" and weighed 44 grams. There are pictures on the internet showing a 5" female beside a tape measure, but that sort of size is really not common at all, for female convicts.
Picture of a mature female convict. Less yellow on it's belly then most female convicts, but still more colorful then most males, with some yellow on it's fins:
Often, a large difference in size between male and female tends to be an indicator that an animal is polygamous. IME, convicts have a tendency towards polygamy with males often pairing up with 2 or more females at the same time and occasionally breeding with more then one female at the same time. Though of coarse a male has to be very dominant and own large territory in order to breed with more then one female at the same time.
Some video of my convicts in the 125 gal. taken last month:
BC in SK

Return to Central American Cichlids