Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.
Post a reply

Cynotilapia (Jalo Reef) and Paralabidochromis Chromogynos

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:10 am

Will these two species be suitable tankmates in a 50 gallon?

Re: Cynotilapia (Jalo Reef) and Paralabidochromis Chromogyno

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:09 am

Or any other suitable specie that has the similar colors. Bluish, Stripes and Yellow fins.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:57 pm

What are the tank dimensions?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:07 pm

48x12x20

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:18 pm

IMO, with a 48" tank, the 2 species will be OK.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:51 pm

I shall attempt this combination. Thanks

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 am

6 weeks since Paralabidochromis Chromogynos were added and 2 weeks since Cynotilapia Jalo Reef. They all eat like monsters, most are very active and entertaining especially the two victorian males. All victorians have grown so quickly, both males have put on about an inch and some thickness in the past 6 weeks. All are still small with the biggest one at about 2.5 inches.

Paralabidochromis Chromogynos 2m:2f (2 more juveniles at 1.5 inches) One of the female already holding
Jalo Reef 2m:2f (3 more juveniles at 1.5 inches)

If i happen to be lucky and all the unsexed are females, do I have a shot at this aquarium being stable in the long run? will 2 males of each specie become a problem?

If I have to, I wouldnt mind with parting one of the Jalo reef males and go for the ratio of 1:4 or 1:5 BUT for the victorians I would like to keep both males because one has very blotchy lighter body with nice colors starting to show and the other male has the same colors starting to show on the fins but with solid dark body. I would like to see how they end up looking as they grow older. I'm hoping the dark male will end up looking similar to the StructureGuys dark male on this species page. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1577

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:08 pm

With only a 48" X 12" tank, multi males of the same species will become an issue. I would never keep only 2 males of any species together. The strong will eventually kill the weaker. If your tank was a little bigger, I would shoot for 3 males and multi females, but 2 is never a good idea.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:23 pm

thank you tanker for the input. I'll keep alert on how the fish are doing and act accordingly.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Two male victorians often works out better than a single male. If this is working out okay now, I would suggest not making any changes.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 pm

StructureGuy wrote:Two male victorians often works out better than a single male. If this is working out okay now, I would suggest not making any changes.

:thumb: :dancing:
Post a reply