Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Need some advice on Hemichromis B lifalili (Blood-Red Jewel)

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Re: Need some advice on Hemichromis B lifalili (Blood-Red Je

Postby easywolf31 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:33 pm

bhavik95 wrote:Hi there congrats on your fry! i am having trouble getting my jewels to breed and i dont know what the reason is!
i bought them a while ago and then next day they ended up breeding but after that they have not bred since the male look interested but the female couldnt careless, i dont know why that is and what i could do?

could you please help me?

thanks

Hi there, is there anyway you can do any the following:

1) Post a one minute video on youtube and paste the link here, I'd like to see their behavior
2) Tell me where exactly have you placed your aquarium, is there always movement right in front?
3) What is the temperature, PH & KH + GH if possible
4) What are you feeding them and how many times per day?
5) What is the size of the tank?, gallons and dimensions.

You need to make them feel comfortable and they need some room, do you also have any plants or driftwood, any flat rocks? How's the oxygenation? They need good oxygen but not much water movement.
145G C. Mobas, J. Marlieris, N. Leleupi
135G Blue Dolphins, C. Kigomas, P. Polleni, J. Marksmithi
75G Green Terrors
60G Peacocks & Haps
60G Brichardis
55G Tanganyika & Malawi Growouts
55G Cubans & Green Texas
45G Electric Blue Jack Dempseys
easywolf31

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby bhavik95 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:24 am

Hi there thanks for the reply!

for the video i will do that tomorrow as i just did a large water change just now so the behaviour may not be the same as normal.

The aquarium is in the living room but there are alot of hiding places, it has caves and medium planted

temp is around 26-27C i cant measure PH/KH/GH but i have hard water as i live in london but i have a water softer connected to the hot water. but the water change i did today i used only the cold water so let see if that makes a difference

i feed once a day and i feed them flake food, tetra prima and dried live food once/twice a week

the tank is a 200L tank

i mean they should be comfortable as its medium planted tank with hiding spots and caves - the caves are flat inside and on the top so they can breed on there and i have 2 small pieces of driftwood.

oxygen i have 1 bubbler going 24/7 its a decent about of water movement.

once i take a video tomorrow that well help much more.
bhavik95

Postby bhavik95 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:36 am

Hi there here are some videos that i took
they werent really active today for some reason i dont think they are like this most of the time
but yesterday they were very close together in the same cave and everything today its different :/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4bJjElPro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5Heqv6GbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyEtPGrj8Wg

hope this helps
bhavik95

Postby easywolf31 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 am

bhavik95 wrote:Hi there here are some videos that i took
they werent really active today for some reason i dont think they are like this most of the time
but yesterday they were very close together in the same cave and everything today its different :/

hope this helps

After seeing your videos, nice looking Jewels by the way!, let me tell you that ll those fish in there are dead if they the Jewels lay eggs. That could be a reason. Next, half or more of the fry will probably get sucked in your filter's intake. Add a sponge made for those intakes. Do not try and breed them and leave those fish in there because they are all dead. Angels, etc. I've never seen a more protective and violent fish once eggs and fry are laid/hatched. Both the female and the male.

I would seriously consider not breeding them if that is your only aquarium. Think of what you will want to do with 100-500 fry and the other fish. I would seperate them quickly before they decide to spawn.
75G Green Terrors
60G Peacocks & Haps
60G Brichardis
55G Cubans & Green Texas
easywolf31

Postby bhavik95 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Thing is when i got them they bred and yes the were aggressive but once they controlled the area where they spawned the other fish did not come near them and werent hurt.
The only reason i lost the fry is i decided to put them in a breeding net which had a small hole in where they all escaped :/
Since then they have not bred i have not seen them digging the substrate or laying eggs, so i was wondering if you could help me out on that?

I dont mind the fry i can sell them on or even keep them in the tank

please could you help me out as to why they arent breeding

thanks
bhavik95

Postby easywolf31 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:59 pm

bhavik95 wrote:Thing is when i got them they bred and yes the were aggressive but once they controlled the area where they spawned the other fish did not come near them and werent hurt.
The only reason i lost the fry is i decided to put them in a breeding net which had a small hole in where they all escaped :/
Since then they have not bred i have not seen them digging the substrate or laying eggs, so i was wondering if you could help me out on that?

I dont mind the fry i can sell them on or even keep them in the tank

please could you help me out as to why they arent breeding

thanks

I've realized these fish aren't stupid. I don't think they want to breed there because they know all the fry will be lost. For now cover at least that filter intake with a sponge. How big is that aquarium?

When you took out the fry the first time how old were they? Didn't the parents freak out?
75G Green Terrors
60G Peacocks & Haps
60G Brichardis
55G Cubans & Green Texas
easywolf31

Postby bhavik95 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Ok i will do that. how do i get them to feel and make them feel like they wont lose the fry and encourage them to breed?
its a 200L tank and they must have been about a week old.

sort of they were looking for them in the tank for the rest of the afternoon
bhavik95

Postby easywolf31 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:33 pm

bhavik95 wrote:Ok i will do that. how do i get them to feel and make them feel like they wont lose the fry and encourage them to breed?
its a 200L tank and they must have been about a week old.

sort of they were looking for them in the tank for the rest of the afternoon

Cover the intake and sng them a nice long lullaby :)

If you really want them to breed non stop remove all the other fish, sell or give them away, cover the intake, put them a slate flat rock, red preferably, feed them good food 2-3 times a say, try some regular freeze dried shrimp and frozen blood worms every 2-3 days, adjust the Ph to 6.7-7.5, temp 77-79F. I say it's the other fish and you that they are worried about mostly. You should remove the fry after 10 days next time or if you see the Female pregnant again. Add a real plant or 2 also if you don't have and do water changes 20-40% every 3-4 days.
75G Green Terrors
60G Peacocks & Haps
60G Brichardis
55G Cubans & Green Texas
easywolf31

Postby bhavik95 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:41 pm

i dont want to remove the fish that are already in there. i did put in a large slate in their but they didnt use it the caves that i have are flat can lay in them or on top of them. i do have 2 pieces of driftwood next to the caves where they can breed and where they layed their eggs last time.

i have shrimp but they are too large for them to eat also about the bloodworms does it make a difference if i feed them bloodworm pellets or so i really feed them frozen bloodworms? and is feeding bloodworms the same as feeding them something like tetra prima?

But at the rate they are going they arent breeding :/ the female doesnt seem interested but the male is on her case

all the plants in the tank are real
bhavik95

Postby bhavik95 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:14 am

any help?
bhavik95

Postby easywolf31 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:09 pm

75G Green Terrors
60G Peacocks & Haps
60G Brichardis
55G Cubans & Green Texas
easywolf31

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 27, 2017 2:18 pm

I agree that the mix is the problem and expecting it to work with breeding Jewels is an unrealistic expectation.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby easywolf31 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:16 pm

bhavik95 wrote:Hi there here are some videos that i took

hope this helps

So I had some time and watched all 3 videos more closely. They definitely look like they want to breed and they will. Really nice video quality and very nice looking Jewels by the way. Here's what I would do.

1. I think they will spawn on the right side. Collapse that cave and make it flat maybe just very slightly lifted, just a few mm.
The top part as it is right now is not good as it's too exposed and when they hatch they may just scatter around. The cave is too small also. They are substrate spawners not cave. Next move some plants just a bit more front so they can make pits around the flat rock. They will place the hatchlings in there once they hatch.

2. Fix the left side as well do the exact same thing. You will need to lift the filter intake from there or place it in the middle of the aquarium.

They look kind of happy and still exploring where to spawn, to me at least.

Can you tell us when you placed these Jewels in the aquarium? Who came first in the aquarium the other fish or the Jewels?

It looks like a new tank, when did you set it up? Also when did you add those caves?

And like we've warned you, you will definitely lose or seriously get some of the other fish hurt.
75G Green Terrors
60G Peacocks & Haps
60G Brichardis
55G Cubans & Green Texas
easywolf31

Postby bhavik95 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:48 am

Thanks!

What do you mean collapse the cave as in break it down? to lift it i could put some more gravel under it in that side would that work?
when you say substrate spawners do they actually lay in the gravel as last time they ended up laying on a piece of driftwood and they ended up digging the gravel themselves

This is what i have done before you posted would this work?
https://ibb.co/diZ7tF
https://ibb.co/itzwna

Was thinking of doing the same thing but just on the right as on the left there is the filter intake. Would this work?

The jewels have probably been in the tank for about a 7-8 months i think maybe more. the jewels were the last fish i added

no the tank has been running for years now cant remember when it was first started as for the caves i added them last month

yes i understand but they were fine last time they ended up breeding.
bhavik95

Postby easywolf31 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:15 am

Take out the cave that is on the right side and put that new slate rock there. No idea why you would put it next to the filter intake.

This is what you need...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K9A15G/re ... lzbZV550XQ
75G Green Terrors
60G Peacocks & Haps
60G Brichardis
55G Cubans & Green Texas
easywolf31

PreviousNext