Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Need some advice on Hemichromis B lifalili (Blood-Red Jewel)

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Re: Need some advice on Hemichromis B lifalili (Blood-Red Je

Postby bhavik95 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:10 am

Yeah ok i will try that! i'll sprinkle a bit gravel on the top surface and see what happens.

but will they still breed even though its all open in that corner?
bhavik95

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby easywolf31 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:38 am

bhavik95 wrote:Yeah ok i will try that! i'll sprinkle a bit gravel on the top surface and see what happens.

but will they still breed even though its all open in that corner?

Yes they don't care for caves and hiding they are open substrate spawners. Let me know if you see them picking up the gravel and spitting it away. Once you see that happen they should start laying eggs in 24 hours. Just don't bother them until then.
145G C. Mobas, J. Marlieris, N. Leleupi
135G Blue Dolphins, C. Kigomas, P. Polleni, J. Marksmithi
75G Green Terrors
60G Peacocks & Haps
60G Brichardis
55G Tanganyika & Malawi Growouts
55G Cubans & Green Texas
45G Electric Blue Jack Dempseys
easywolf31

Postby bhavik95 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:04 am

would it benefit them if i put a cave just before i lay the slate flat on the floor?

this way they can hide in it if they want to?

ok i will let you know thanks!
bhavik95

Postby BC in SK » Sat May 12, 2018 1:22 pm

Easywolf, I noticed a while back, you no longer have jewels listed in your signature. what made you decide to move on from them?

It isn't my thread, so at the time I didn't think I should weigh in on the advice behavik95 was seeking from easywolf. But I will now. I do not agree with DJ Ransome and Easywolf's advice to behavik95. I think that behavik95's jewels not being so prolific any more, has absolutely zilch to do with decor. Nor do i think his set up of decor to be inferior in any way to the set up that easywolf has. Some times pairs of cichlids are prolific and then they slow down. Nothing much more then that. Fish are still breeding many more times in captivity then they ever could in the wild. I've had jewels every decade starting in the 1970's and I've had a whole range of set up with more open areas and shelter. IME, given a choice, jewels will lay their eggs in good shelter even when there are no other fish in the tank. Very, very seldom have I had them lay eggs in open areas. But of course I am giving them a choice. They are like most cichlids and should be provided with some good shelter in the tank.
BC in SK

Previous

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species