Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Steatocranus irvinei, the Blue Lip Buffalohead - spawning em

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Steatocranus irvinei, the Blue Lip Buffalohead - spawning em

Postby Mr Chromedome » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Moved the group to a clean 40 breeder with gravel about 4 days ago, they've been in a bare bottom tank since I got them in June. The male had been in the pot, yesterday I noticed he was outside and the female was inside. When she finally came out for a bit, I saw the breeding tube. I suspect that there may already be eggs. The occasionally face off with another pair that has set up house in a smaller half pot at the same end of the tank. There appears to be a third male, and two runts that have been seriously chewed up. I'm afraid to remove them as the pairs may up the aggression toward each other. I used mostly R/O water with a small amount of my liquid rock well water, and the tank is filtered by a mattenfilter setup with a powerhead to move water through the sponge.

Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Steatocranus irvinei, the Blue Lip Buffalohead - spawnin

Postby Deeda » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Those are some handsome fish!! I haven't kept them before but I wish you the best with a successful spawning.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Re: Steatocranus irvinei, the Blue Lip Buffalohead - spawnin

Postby Kleovoulos » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:59 am

Wow, what an awesome fish!Good luck!
Kleovoulos

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species