Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Paretroplus nourissati / 'Lamena': A Pleasant Surprise

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Paretroplus nourissati / 'Lamena': A Pleasant Surprise

Postby notho2000 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:31 pm

A young pair of Madagascan 'lamena' cichlids have spawned for the first time. They paired up about a month ago and have been behaving quite civil to one another over that time. They most likely spawned a couple of days ago. Last week, I was doing some fish collecting in the Florida Panhandle and arrived home late Sunday evening on April 6th. On Monday morning, I noticed one parent attentively guarding a plaque of eggs. I don't know if this is the male or female, but the second parent is keeping its distance. I only hope the eggs are fertile. I'll be pulling the spawn Tuesday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get a hatch.

http://youtu.be/iOgRuLD9bKw
notho2000

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Paretroplus nourissati / 'Lamena': A Pleasant Surprise

Postby Mr Chromedome » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Looks like the female with the eggs; big fat breeding tube. Wish you'd gotten the other fish in that vid, though.

Major congratulations on the spawn! This is one of the toughest species I know of.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Re: Paretroplus nourissati / 'Lamena': A Pleasant Surprise

Postby notho2000 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:22 am

Well, it appears the eggs weren't fertilized and after seven days, are now covered with fungus. They were white when laid and remained that way for the week, with no embryonic development seen. Either they are two females, the male is very young and has not yet developed viable sperm, or the male didn't participate in the spawning. Which of these is the case, I'm not sure but time will tell. I'm hoping that they will spawn again soon as they are colored up again and spending time together in and around their new pot.
notho2000

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species