Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Pundamilia sp. Crimson tide care

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Pundamilia sp. Crimson tide care

Postby Cichlidman14 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:16 pm

The title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking about housing 1 male and 4-5 females in a 29 gallon as a breeding tank. I posted a thread before to see if it was okay to keep them in a 29 and members on this forum said it would be fine. How should i set up the tank, P.h requirements and other essential information appreciated.
Tanks:
55 Gallon:Mbuna/ Peacock Tank
55 Gallon:Mbuna Community
37 Gallon:Community
29 Gallon:Angelfish
29 Gallon:Saulosi Only
10 Gallon:Planted
Cichlidman14

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Pundamilia sp. Crimson tide care

Postby Chester B » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:03 am

Your tank is too small for adults, and will only be suitable for a few months. Once the male starts to mature the females will have a hard time getting away from him. As Samaki has already pointed a 55 gallon would be best, and I have to agree with this. I've started out Pundamilia species in 36" 38 gallon tank and even at smaller sizes the males are hard on the females. I find even in a 90 gallon dominant males can be aggressive but there is so much more room that no real damage seems to occur. I think you're better off looking at either some south american dwarf cichlids, some of the smaller non Malawi and Victoria species (Pelvicachromis, Nanochromis) or move back to some of the smaller Tanganyikans.
Chester B

Re: Pundamilia sp. Crimson tide care

Postby Cichlidman14 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 am

Okay thanks:)
Tanks:
55 Gallon:Mbuna/ Peacock Tank
55 Gallon:Mbuna Community
37 Gallon:Community
29 Gallon:Angelfish
29 Gallon:Saulosi Only
10 Gallon:Planted
Cichlidman14