Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Stocking Suggestions: 135G!

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Stocking Suggestions: 135G!

Postby chicago_animal » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:01 pm

I got my 135G tank filled with water and no fish. I have fallen in love with the beauty of the Victorias. I used to just have Malawis but these are just beautifull.

I was looking for stocking suggestions for a 135G tank.

Thanks,
Brian
chicago_animal

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking Suggestions: 135G!

Postby jimmie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:18 pm

chicago_animal wrote:I got my 135G tank filled with water and no fish. I have fallen in love with the beauty of the Victorias. I used to just have Malawis but these are just beautifull.

I was looking for stocking suggestions for a 135G tank.

Thanks,
Brian
My opinion Haps and Peacocks :fish: big bright beautiful colors...by the way we well see you guys in the playoffs.
150 gl African cichlid, haps peacocks set up;Hobbies for about 21yrs;17yrs into africans, also a 55gl..Lake Tang tank..once was a proud owner of a 225gl in wall tank sold it with the house...
jimmie

Postby AlmightyJoshaeus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:50 pm

The question was for which Victorians she should/could keep in the tank, not african cichlids in general.

By the way, I have a personal bias for haplochromis sp. ruby green...they're not a large species (4") and are quite peaceful by african cichlid standards, so you could keep several males in a tank that size. Keeping more than one victorian is not usually advised, though, since victorians are extremely good at cross-breeding - since many victorians are imperiled in the wild, allowing them to cross-breed in captivity could have serious consequences. You might be able to keep a peaceful mbuna harem or two with the ruby greens, such as labidochromis chisumulae or pseudotropheus saulosi.
AlmightyJoshaeus

Postby skurj » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:10 pm

in 135 you could keep a larger species like the Polleni
55g Corner Saulosi, Yoyo, BN Pleco
skurj

Postby StructureGuy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:51 am

chicago_animal wrote:I have fallen in love with the beauty of the Victorians. I was looking for stocking suggestions for a 135G tank.

Victorian cichlids in general are not as common as many mbuna. We could make lots of specific recommendations of vics that you can't find. I suggest we do this the other way around. Tell us what is available, and we can go from there. Of course, if you are in the Chicago area you may very well have quite a few quality choices available to you.

Kevin
StructureGuy

Postby tycoonbob » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:41 am

If you are willing to buy cichlids online and have them shipped to you, I know several Victorian species you can get. Won't be cheap though, and will probably be somewhere around $20 per fish, shipped.

If your limiting yourself to whats available locally, then you will probably want to list out what species you have available to you so we can help assess what would work together.

Some of my favorite Vic species are:
Paralabidochromis chromogynos Zue Island
Pundamilia nyererei “Juma Island”
Pundamilia sp. ”Red Flank” Nansio Island
Astatotilapia Aeneocolor
Pundamilia sp. “Blue Bar”
Paralabidochromis sp. ''Fire'' Uganda

However, you would not be able to keep all of these species together.
tycoonbob

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species