Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Coptodon/Tilapia snyderae?

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Coptodon/Tilapia snyderae?

Postby AlmightyJoshaeus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 am

Anyone know anything about these fish? They look gorgeous, but I've heard conflicting reports on their minimum tank size and aggression level. Can anyone chime on in this fish? (And by the way, will they tolerate plants?)
AlmightyJoshaeus

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Coptodon/Tilapia snyderae?

Postby dstuer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 am

I have kept Tilapia bythobates (very similar, also from Lake Bermin) just gets a little larger, 7" or so for the males .
When not spawning mine not terribly aggressive in a 125 gal with larger cichlids, but when breeding action started,they had all other cichlids pinned to the other half of the tank.
They really color up during spawning, and like to dig caves to lay eggs in, and appreciate a good bit of vegetable in their diet.
phone shot, before I had a camera
dstuer

Postby stayfrosty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:19 am

stayfrosty

Postby Mcdaphnia » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:30 am

You can find this species under either name. Coptodon seems to be the currently accepted genus for this fish from (crater) Lake Bermin in Cameroons.

Both the C. snyderae and the C. bythobates that I have don't just tolerate plants. They love them to pieces! Shoveling down any piece that will fit until not a trace is left that there was ever a plant in that tank, including most algae. A great place for plant trimmings! I have them in tanks on two different tank rows. They look very similar, so keeping them far apart is the only way to have both.
Mcdaphnia

Postby Mcdaphnia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:05 am

I have also noticed an absence of living snails in their tanks. The empty snail shells look as if they have been chewed.
Mcdaphnia

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species