Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Nanochromis splendens

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Nanochromis splendens

Postby joemc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:42 am

Hi,
are there any keepers of these little fish on the forum?
I am picking up a group of 6 or 8 of them later this month so any tips on care would be appreciated, particularly in regard to sexing young fish
tks
joe
joemc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Nanochromis splendens

Postby samaki » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:01 am

Hi i'm not a specielist but a soft water, some rocks and roots for the hideouts, fine sand, i kept N.transvestitus by pair in a 30g with pelvicachromis taeniatus
xris
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby joemc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:01 am

Hi,
thanks for the speedy reply, I also keep Nanochromis transvestitus, I have two pairs, both are with fry at the moment, they are a beautiful little fish, one that should be kept more often, they were the fish that tempted me to say yes to the N. splendens
joemc

Postby samaki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi the N.splendens is really beautiful too but I don't know if they require the exact same water parameters, perhaps they need less soft water.
xris
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby joemc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:09 pm

tks, I will update the thread once I receive the fish, in the meantime I will be setting up the tank to prepare for their arrival and will do some research on the species
tks again
joe
joemc

Postby joemc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:37 am

Hi sorry for the delay in posting again, I have been meaning to get back to the thread, I picked up the fish, but their id had to be questioned despite the original i.d. by a well known fish expert I now believe them to be Nanochromis parilus, any experts on here are welcome to confirm or disagree with this, I personally know next to nothing about this genus of fish and am a complete beginner here with west African cichlids, but I want to learn!
here is a short video of some of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOCJemaMUE
your thoughts on their id and any advice on their care would be greatly appreciated
joe
joemc

Postby lizardboy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:10 pm

I currently have a pair of nanochromis parilus. They're really great fish, you'll enjoy them. The one thing I noticed was that they can be aggressive towards conspecifics, so I really don't feel you could keep 6-8 together for a long period of time. I have mine in a 55g, and so far they're the only ones in there, and the male is almost constantly chasing the female. Mine are WC and they were relatively easy to switch to frozen food (blood worms, brine shrimp, mysis, etc.) They like soft water and lots of rocks and branches. They really enjoy my heavily planted tank. PM me for more specific stuff, if you'd like
lizardboy

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species