Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • If "Cute" Counts For Anything ...

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

If "Cute" Counts For Anything ...

Postby notho2000 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:57 pm

If "cute" counts for anything in the world of fish keeping (and in my case cichlids) then I think I have found the cutest of them all. I recently obtained an extremely rare little Indian cichlid from an acquaintance in San Antonio, Texas. He had successfully spawned them (one of only a handful of people ) and I obtained ten of these 8 month old juveniles. Their name is Etroplus canarensis, or commonly the Canara Pearlspot cichlid. It was thought to be extinct until it was rediscovered in 1992 and in the last couple of years, small numbers of the fish have made their way into the hobby. Etroplus is a small genus (3 species) of cichlids native to southern India and Sri Lanka, where they are the only native cichlids. My main interest in them is that the Etroplus genus is closely related to the Paretroplus from Madagascar. These two lineages are believed to have separated during the Mesozoic era (the age of reptiles), as Madagascar and the Indian Plate had separated by the end of the Cretaceous period. I am pretty heavily into Madagascan cichlids, presently maintaining 8 species. I also have Etroplus maculatus (Orange Chromide) on the go. They are some of the most ancient cichlid lineages on earth and have undergone little, if any change over the millions of years that they have existed. I just took the one picture once they settled into their 25G species tank. Here it is. In real life they school tightly and are like a little swarm of bees. I'll take a video soon.

notho2000

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: If "Cute" Counts For Anything ...

Postby DJRansome » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Something about their faces, LOL.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby cichlid-gal » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:56 am

What an exciting endeavor Notho. And I always love learning about cichlids, not just "seeing" them. Fascinating information and background on these guys and knowing your great fishkeeping experience, I am sure you will have some spawns with them. Thank you so much for sharing and looking forward to some videos of them. Can't wait to see the Entro swarm :)
125g Limbochromis robertsi, P. mulitcolor victoriae, P. pulcher
125g Metriaclima sp. zebra gold (Lions Cove) WC, P. polit
75g Xystichromis sp. Kyoga Flameback
and smaller tanks with livebearers, Bettas, tetras, other
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Postby Halmiris » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:22 am

Very nice fish.
Halmiris

Postby notho2000 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:56 am

Here's an update on my Etroplus canarensis. When I got them in mid August of last year, they were barely 1" TL. They are presently at 2 1/2 to 3" and are starting to undergo some changes in pattern and color, especially when feeding. They get very competitive as soon as food is added to the tank, and show a darkening of the body and banding across the head. Their "roman numerals" fade to spots. I suspect that this will be their appearance when they are in a spawning frame of mind. They still like to school but are starting to exert their individuality. I've added a couple of pictures, first when they were little guys six months ago and now.

notho2000

Postby Ronzo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:22 am

The juvies are indeed "cute", and the subadults are quite attractive IMO also...how is their behavior/disposition? Please compile and publish a species profile! Cheers
Ronzo

Postby NJmomie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:04 am

Is that their mature size Notho? How large of a tank do they need and how many in a school if I were to have a species only tank?
NJmomie

Postby Coriandre » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Beautiful fish and good info ! Would love to hear more about them !
Coriandre

Postby lilscoots » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:25 pm

very cool
All male tanks are a pain. I miss all the color, but I don't miss the hassle.
lilscoots

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species