Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Haplochromis sp. #44 "thickskin"

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Re: Haplochromis sp. #44 "thickskin"

Postby JP_92 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:09 am

As I said before they replaced the thickskin that died in the display tank with one from this batch. When I first saw him he was probably 3 inches with some color but faded looking. Well I was at the store for supplies and I got a picture of him now. Since its a display tank id assume its extremely well maintained with premium food and such because since the last time I saw the fish it must have put on almost an inch. Its around 4" now yet mine are around 2" still.

With the hybrid talk and sheller talk what do you guys think about this picture?
Retired 75 Gallon
Male: Rock Kribensis / Flavus / Demasoni / Acei / Red Tail Shark
Female: 5 Electric Yellow Labs / Msobo Deep / Acei
Juvenile: Cobalt Blue / Venustus / 1m:2f Msobo Deep / Male Elongatus Mphanga
JP_92

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby AC » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Hybrid.
AC

Postby AC » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:52 pm

That is what one should look like
AC

Postby JP_92 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:05 am

Anybody else want to confirm these guys as hybrids? Im going to keep 1 of them regardless and take 3 back to the store and try to get a full refund on them because I was told they were thickskins. I've never dealt with these fish before so if more people could give their opinion it would be helpful. Myself i'd agree with the hybrid claim.
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby Chester B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 am

Doesn't look right to me either.
Chester B

Postby AC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:18 am

JP,

This fish was supposedly screwed up during the original import where the wrong females were collected.

I do not know that is 100% true, but it sounds very possible.

I bought a group of fry to grow out from a very reputable dealer and they don't look right to me either.

They are not near fully mature yet, but the barring looks off enough to feel that I know I have bunk.

It's a species I will just stay away from for now on...
AC

Postby JP_92 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:33 pm

yeah, I bought mine from a reputable dealer too. I see A LOT of small differences when I look at pictures of these fish. The biggest difference I see is the amount of black they have. I think with dealing with this type of fish you should make sure to see what the parents look like or only buy them once they've matured. Almost every picture is see has some type of difference. For instance just look at the profile here. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1546 Not one of them looks exactly the same as the other.
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby StructureGuy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:45 pm

JP_92 wrote: Almost every picture is see has some type of difference. For instance just look at the profile here. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1546 Not one of them looks exactly the same as the other.

Of course I could show you pictures of any number of Victorian cichlids at different ages and in different moods and you could say exactly the same thing.

If I were to buy a Hap #44 I would look for a fish with a yellow body, 5 or 6 vertical black bars, a black "face", red fins and a pointed "snout". Just below the dorsal fins there is some black or some red. That's not exactly a scientific definition, it's just what I've seen from some better than average stock. It certainly is a fish that has been in the hobby a long time and seems to be more mixed and hybridized than most vic species.

Just MHO

Kevin
StructureGuy

Postby Cichlidman14 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Try getting some females. He will definitily color up once he learns that they're are potential mates.
Tanks:
55 Gallon:Mbuna/ Peacock Tank
55 Gallon:Mbuna Community
37 Gallon:Community
29 Gallon:Angelfish
29 Gallon:Saulosi Only
10 Gallon:Planted
Cichlidman14

Postby JP_92 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Update: So these fish have been confirmed not sp 44. The store really couldn't tell me what they were... its clear its part thickskin though. Today I kept the most colorful one which was actually one of the new males I recently got. I kept him alone in a 5.5gal because his tail was shredded. The water quality was better in that tank and I kept feeding him regularly. With no other fish to stress him out he was the only one that coloured up and he got to be the biggest or tied for the biggest out of the 4.

The store just got in a shipment of sp 44. They were around 1" or less and you could already see barring and red fins. I picked one up. The fish had red on all fins and the anal fin seems longer not rounded, even has an egg spot. Ill post pictures eventually.
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby JP_92 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:57 pm

Here is an update of my male hybrid Thickskin. I can only take photos with flash because my OLD camera is blurry with it off.

I kept this one.

He was the only one that colored up and lived alone after a failed attempt in the main tank when he got his tail shredded.

Once he got around 2.5-3" I put him in the main tank where he's doing fine and looks like this...

This last pic of him is blurry but it does capture the top red color that is washed out by the flash in the others.
His color is a darkish blue/purple head blending into a redish top then orange/yellow/green body with light blue, red tipped fins.

Anyone have any guesses at what the thickskin could have mated with?
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby JP_92 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:03 am

I know my pictures aren't the best but I think this is either a

thickskin kyoga flameback hybrid

or

thickskin Xmas Fulu hybrid

I'm leaning towards the flameback. I've seen flamebacks at the LFS and someone locally selling a group of xmas fulu.
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby JP_92 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 am

Well this will probably be my last update in this thread. I happened to have a better camera for pictures this time but it's hard getting pictures of fish! I don't know how some of you pull such great pictures.

So the update on the Hybrid is that he pisses off pretty much every fish in the tank. Normally he wont show his barring, it only comes out around feeding time or when he about to get in a fight, which isn't often. I got this one clear shot of him and his barring is at around 50% max darkness. Normally he looks like the pictures I posted before which is nowhere near as nice as this or id want to keep him. He's around 3".

The next fish is my non-hybrid thickskin that's in a grow out tank. His barring is pretty much always visible but he can make them darker. He's in the 2-2.5" range.

With flash.

Not the best lighting for grow out tank but here's without flash.

So what do you guys think of my new thickskin and your thoughts on how the hybrid looks?
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Previous

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species