Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Haplochromis sp. #44 "thickskin"

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Haplochromis sp. #44 "thickskin"

Postby JP_92 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:16 pm

hey I just got one of these guys and am pretty sure its a male because the guy at the LFS told me it was but I need help. Its just under 2 inches and the tail is slightly red and the anal fin is yellow. The rest of the fish isn't showing any color. Its only been around 7 hours since I put it in the tank so it could be stressed right? I really want a male and I noticed the males in the tank were blue bodied at the store. When he netted it he had two in the net a slightly blue fish and a female. Im worried he dropped the female into the bag by accident. Here's pics!

Retired 75 Gallon
Male: Rock Kribensis / Flavus / Demasoni / Acei / Red Tail Shark
Female: 5 Electric Yellow Labs / Msobo Deep / Acei
Juvenile: Cobalt Blue / Venustus / 1m:2f Msobo Deep / Male Elongatus Mphanga
JP_92

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Haplochromis sp. #44 "thickskin"

Postby StructureGuy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:40 am

JP_92 wrote:Its just under 2 inches and the tail is slightly red and the anal fin is yellow. I really want a male and I noticed the males in the tank were blue bodied at the store.

Blue bodied? That doesn't sound quite right. Let's give it some time and see how it colors up.

My Hap #44 males showed color, even at a small size:

And here is a young female:

The fish in your picture is likely a female based upon the rounded yellow anal fin.

Kevin
StructureGuy

Postby Chester B » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:46 am

Kind of looks like a piceatus but the face is a little too rounded. One of the more common vics seen around Toronto is Pundamilia sp "blue bar" but this really doesn't look like one of those.

JP_92 can you PM me with the name of the store you got these at? It might help.
Chester B

Postby JP_92 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:29 am

PM sent. It was listed as "hap obliquidens". When we were netting him the guy said how he loved this fish. There was a display tank beside it and I pointed to a adult thickskin and he said that it was the same fish. Also when I said blue bodied they were very deep blue but you could see a few of the fish in the tank had a blue tint while the others looked like bland females.
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby JP_92 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:36 am

Sorry I meant they weren't very deep blue. (cant edit my post anymore)

this is a picture of the exact fish I pointed out to in the display tank.
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby JP_92 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 am

StructureGuy at what size do you think those fish were at the time of picture? I've had a very hard time locating any extremely young photos of this fish.
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby Eugooglizer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Looks female to me judging on two things: the rounded fins and that of the 6 Victorian species I have kept, all males have had some color at 2 inches.
125G All Male Hap/Peacock/Petricola/Clown Loach
60G Saulosi/Maingano/Red Zebra
Eugooglizer

Postby Chester B » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:38 pm

I know the supplier that this store gets their cichlids from. On their current list of tank raised victorian nothing jumped out at me as a match.

Haplochromis aneocolor yellow belly
Astato latifasciata albino zebra obliq
Astato latifasciata zebra obliquidens
Haplochromis sp. fire Uganda
Haplochromis sp. flameback

However I do know that they have been carrying Platytaeniodus sp. "red tail sheller". This species is characterized by an adult coloration of a blue body with a red tail. And the picture of your fish does have the same profile/body type as them, although isn't displaying the horizontal stripe. However this would be my guess at this point.

https://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2587
Chester B

Postby JP_92 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:52 pm

wow that's a real nice fish too! I definitely would have picked a male up but I don't believe that's their list of vics as I took note of all their fish before I purchased some to do research on them. It's also missing rock kribs.

Anyway, I went back to the store today (was in the neighborhood) and I asked a different employee about it and they also pointed out the same fish to me. Now that the fish is used to its new home it definitely looks like the young female posted above. I think the guy just dropped the female in the bag by mistake like I said. I'll be going back to the store tomorrow to exchange my fish for a definite male which they told me I could. I checked the tank and these guys are still very young and are just starting to get color. I tried taking pictures but they just came out blurry. I just hope when I put the new fish in the tank it doesn't get attacked. I put a group in the last time and the thickskin is tied for the smallest fish in the tank.

Will take picture of then new thickskin when I get him!
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby JP_92 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Ok so I exchanged my fish today for another one. I picked the darkest colored fish in the tank. Now that I have it home its lost it's color so ill wait to take pictures. At the moment it looks like the female from before although slightly different like its a bit grey. These fish are probably 1.5inches, are they really supposed to look like structureguys fish at this size? Zero fish in the tank look like that. They all look plain except for 3-4 darker colored fish. Hopefully they are JUST starting to get colour and I have a male this time. I really want a thickskin.
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby StructureGuy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:10 pm

That picture is from quite a few years ago. If memory serves me correct, the Hap 44 in my picture was slightly less than 2" long. When trying to pick out a male victorian, I generally look at the anal fin. The females have rounded, yellowish anal fins. The males have a bit longer anal fins that are either clear or have some red on them. It is tough to tell a stressed male or a subdominant male from a female, especially when they are young.

Did some of the fish in the LFS tank look like definite males before the net hit the water?

Kevin
StructureGuy

Postby JP_92 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:31 pm

before the net hit the water, none of them looked like the picture you posted. There was like 30ish of them in the tank and only around 4 had any color at all. I got the darkest one. They were either blue or black colour and dark enough that they looked like different fish compared to the rest. Its hard to tell the exact color in the store as the lighting wasn't the best in the tank. The female I had before looked exactly like the picture you posted after a day in my tank though, so they should be thickskins.
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby JP_92 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:40 pm

So two days in and it hasn't colored up like it looked in the store yet. I actually took a look at the pictures from my phone of the store tank and theyre blurry but I guess ill upload them and show you how the fish looked before I brought it home.

As you can see in the 1st picture there are very dark fish in the tank. That's exactly how it looked when it was netted. The 2nd picture is just a clearer view of some of the fish in the tank, the dark fish turned while I took the picture and I think another dark one is beside it facing the camera.

Now for the pictures of it in my tank after around 2 days.

thoughts?
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Postby spicoli » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:01 am

I'm having the same issue with a ruby green i bought on the weekend. He was amazingly coloured in the tank, but now even after almost 4 days, he's still pale and drab. I think part of it is stress, part is a lack of females in the tank to spur him to colour up. I'll be honest though somehow it looks like another female in there but i'm probably wrong. Any chance your fishstore hormones the water?
spicoli

Postby JP_92 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Pretty much a week in since I changed the fish and it still looks like the last picture I uploaded yet it was dark blue in the store tank. Im going to go to the store on Monday to get some supplies and i'll check out the tank again to see if any look like actual thickskins now. Since it looked like the dark one in the tank it should be a male right, just not colored up yet? Any help?
Retired 75 Gallon
JP_92

Next

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species