Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Pseudocrenilabrus Nicholsi

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Pseudocrenilabrus Nicholsi

Postby thegundog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Found these fish through a club brother and I'm thinking real hard on 5-6 of his unsexed fry with the hopes of eventually having a harem 1 male to 2-3 females in a species only set up.

I read the CF article on this species (by Dave Hansen) and they look awesome.

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p ... cholsi.php

I'm thinking a 20L would suffice initially for the .5" fry.

Not sure if I am interpreting my research correctly, but it seems some aquarist have kept this species with Mbuna, Peacocks and Haps. Not that I want to....., I'm looking for a species only set up - but I am curious if anyone can confirm this type of successful mix.

Overall thoughts, suggestions or warnings requested!
thegundog

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Pseudocrenilabrus Nicholsi

Postby thegundog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm thinking a 20L would suffice initially for the .5" fry.

They are 1" not .5"
thegundog

Postby GoofBoy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:04 am

I found the males to be hyper-aggressive, I had a very hard time keeping the girls alive in a 40 breeder, sub-dominant males were not tolerated at all - I tried several males down the dominance chain, never found a reasonably calm guy...

I had them in with mbuna for a while in a 75 - the dominant male picked fights with everyone, even though he was smaller and got beat up, he kept trying.

Fantastic looking fish, but I didn't appreciate the aggression level. Hopefully the strain you are looking at is calmer.

Good Luck.
GoofBoy

Postby jaymore1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:43 am

I would start with 10-12 and try and get 1m/5-6 f. These fish as stated earlier can be very hyper-aggressive towards females so u want quite a few females for him to choose from. Im not sure how big of a tank they will be going into as they mature but the bigger the better IMO
75g- Group of Msobo and group of F1 Afra Nkhata Bay
55g- Pundamilia Nyererei breeding group
30g- Fry Tank
jaymore1

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species