Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • help ID this fish for me

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Re: help ID this fish for me

Postby vinman63 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:45 am

that is colored up. The guy that bred the fish is Greg Steeves. The guy I got them from said his breeder male looks the same as my male. Greg insist they are red back scrapers. Threy dont look like any red back scrapers I seen
vinman63

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby StructureGuy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 pm

vinman63 wrote:that is colored up. The guy that bred the fish is Greg Steeves. The guy I got them from said his breeder male looks the same as my male. Greg insist they are red back scrapers. They don't look like any red back scrapers I seen

If you click on the link on this page you can see the species article (a pdf) written by Greg Steeves.
http://www.africancichlids.net/gallery/ ... ctoria.php
(I would imagine you've probably already seen this.)
Kevin
StructureGuy

Postby vinman63 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm

SG, obviously the line has been contaminated because my male and the guy I got them from don't have red backs and green bottoms in stead the have red flanks and green midsection and peduncles
vinman63

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:31 pm

It would seem likely that after multiple generations in captivity, the colour has changed somewhat from what one would expect. This isn't completely unheard of either. It is one of the reasons nyererei are so completely difficult to ID variants. If it came from that line, it's a redback scraper. If it isn't what you want... go get some that look like what you want. I've had the same thing with nyererei.
Fogelhund

Postby vinman63 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:47 pm

I colud see the color changing some what in the depth of the tone but not the pattren. if all thre red back scrapers came from one adult female how come the ones in Europe have not changed pattren. It has to be a contaminant. No way would the red disapear off the back and go to the sides. The fish has no red on the back what so ever. The back is gray.
vinman63

Postby vinman63 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:56 pm

I seen what you are talking about in the nyererei. I never seen the red go from the back to the flank. Look at the european stock none of the look like my fish or the father to this fish.
vinman63

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:14 pm

By whatever means, it isn't what you want. Time to move them out, and get a fish that meets your expectations. The plasticity of cichlids is such that after just a few generations, we can change the colours and pigment of fish. With so many examples of peacocks in short periods of time, it is easy to see that as possible. You could always line breed them back to what you expect to see... I understand this line has some variability, and throws fry that you would expect in colouration too.
Fogelhund

Postby vinman63 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Fogelhund wrote:By whatever means, it isn't what you want. Time to move them out, and get a fish that meets your expectations. The plasticity of cichlids is such that after just a few generations, we can change the colours and pigment of fish. With so many examples of peacocks in short periods of time, it is easy to see that as possible.

Thats what I'm doing It is a loss. I very honest with people I tell them this is what I bought them as babies . If you know anyone inthe states that has what i'm looking foir please send them my way
vinman63

Postby samaki » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 am

Hi here is the H.sp"red back scraper" aka H.obliquidens(L.Seegers, 2008)
http://www.ciklid.org/artregister/artre ... hp?ID=1779
this fish differs from the one from you vinman but also from the one on the Greg Pic.this fish is a descendant of the females fished by Y.Fermon in 1991 and didn't show any variations in its dress or color pattern.
xris :)
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby vinman63 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:40 am

samaki wrote:Hi here is the H.sp"red back scraper" aka H.obliquidens(L.Seegers, 2008)
http://www.ciklid.org/artregister/artre ... hp?ID=1779
this fish differs from the one from you vinman but also from the one on the Greg Pic.this fish is a descendant of the females fished by Y.Fermon in 1991 and didn't show any variations in its dress or color pattern.
xris :)

Thats what I wanted, Thak you for posting that link
vinman63

Previous

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species