Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Flameback- help

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Re: Flameback- help

Postby lala12 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:28 am

Hi can u post a picture of your flameback so I can see the difference
lala12

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby tranced » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07 am

hi, just a quick point... there is not many lake victoria species present in australia, and most of them do not appear true to form... either due to hybridisation or perhaps even a sort of natural process, because the gene pool is so limited here, you might even see variations in 'pure' fish, after 30 years of inbreeding... im sure your LFS was not trying to deceive you, they have no control over what sort of stock is sent to them. over here 'flameback' is a generic term for what seems to be haplochromis sp44 'thickskin' crossed with god knows what... your best bet for getting a true to type lake victorian species is from a cichlid breeder that is interested in lake vics. its quite easy to find astatotilapia lafasciata over here, and they are not as aggressive, breed very easily and generally make a wonderful first lake vic species. then you can go on the hunt for something a bit more rare :) hope this helps, cheers.
tranced

Postby samaki » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:32 am

Hi here 's the H.sp"flameback" from lake Victoria
http://www.african-cichlid.com/Flameback.htm
here's the H.sp"Kyoga flameback"
http://www.africancichlids.net/articles ... flameback/
theu don't belong to the same trophic group( a trophic group is an assemblage of fish that feed on the same diet without phylogenetics involvement) one is an insect eater, the second is a plant eater
xris :)
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby mattrox » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am

lala12 wrote:Here is a better image of my cichlid any suggestions as to what type of flameback i have???

Hey Lala, I know why everyone is having a hard time. The Vic basin cichlids all have the wrong common name over here. Some numpty, years ago when they were imported forgot or didn't understand the scientific names. They just grabbed names that sounded good that were used for Vic cichlids.

In Australia "Flamebacks" are all in fact P. nyererei. They have long since lost their collection point. There are some die hard keepers and Python Island I can confirm is here. There are a couple other locations too.

Don't post a picture of our Crimson Tides either...... Or our Christmas Fulu..... For others outside Australia, the trade name for A. latifasciata in Crimson tide for some dumb reason. And our Christmas fulu only vaguely resembles the proper one either a hybrid aquarium strain or a different fish all togther.

Enjoy your flamebacks. They are of mixed origin (and some "flamebacks"may even be hybridised with sp. 44, I'm not sure.) Not saying yours are hybid, but rather it is likely to be our local aquarium strain.
mattrox

Postby mattrox » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:17 am

Oops missed Tranced's posts. He's good with Vics. What he said.
mattrox

Postby ratbones86 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:09 pm

"Haplochromis" sp. "Thickskin" "Obliquidens" is your flameback in question.... :)
"I am, what i am, because i am." <Popeye
ratbones86

Previous

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species