Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.
Post a reply

Xystichromis sp. ''Kyoga Flameback'' tank set up question...

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:13 am

Anyone have pics of their tank set up or idea's on setting one up in a 55 gallon? im gonna venture into these guys and wanna do it right for them. thanks!

Re: Xystichromis sp. ''Kyoga Flameback'' tank set up questio

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:49 am

I think these are ideal in a species tank since they are timid.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:49 pm

That's what i'm going to do I just would like a Pic or something to get a better idea on how to set up their tank

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:16 pm

ratbones86 wrote:Anyone have pics of their tank set up or idea's on setting one up in a 55 gallon? im gonna venture into these guys and wanna do it right for them. thanks!

I had them in a 40 breeder with a bunch of rocks - timid wasn't in it, they were extremely skittish by themselves - they are now in with Hap & Peacock breeding groups they are doing just fine - come up to the top of the tank first at feeding time.

I would look at adding some fish that like to be at the top of the tank and are peaceful.

I read an article where the guy kept them with non-jumbo Cyprichromis leptosoma - if you had a 75 I would say that would be about ideal, but you get the idea.

Good Luck.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:45 pm

I have six yellow labs, 6 electirc blues, six red zebras, twelve albino socolofi which one of these would get along the best with the flameback I want to know which ones to trade. they are in a 125g tank with a canster filter

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:52 pm

my intent is to breed everything in the tank right now they about two inches or smaller when they get bigger so that I can tell the difference between male and female I will be getting rid of the extra males my goal is to have about 4 of each, expect for the socolofi and about 6 or 7 of them.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:16 pm

With that mix of mbuna I'd do nyererei instead of Kyoga Flamebacks.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:04 pm

My problem with that is that those aren't available locally the red zebras are all but gone and the electric blues are questionable so I suppose I should have asked would yellow labs and the socolofi get along with the flamebacks

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:16 pm

HAPLOCHROMIS SP. NYEREREI "RED FLANK" I can get this fish

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:43 pm

ls5292 wrote:HAPLOCHROMIS SP. NYEREREI "RED FLANK" I can get this fish

:thumb:

My Kyoga Flamebacks were intimidated by smaller Ptyochromis sp. "Hippo Point Salmon" males, I definitely wouldn't put them in with the mbuna, I agree that the Nyererei are the way to go with your mix.

Good Luck.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Socolofi are still among the more aggressive mbuna. Nyererei are more likely to work IMO.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:24 pm

I am think about getting a different tank what would be some good tank mates for the Kyoga flameback?

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 pm

would a male yellow lab be good with them

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:31 pm

I'd do them in a species tank personally. Goof Boy says they work with haps and peacocks.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:17 pm

I am not trying to be a pain in the _ _ _ but according to the profiles on this site the yellow lab is a peaceful fish towards other species and the electric blue is mildly aggressive or is it one of those thing that every fish is different. If I do get these I think I will try a species tank for a while and then put a male yellow lab in with them and keep a close eye on them if that works add a female.
Post a reply