Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • lonesome jewel..

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

lonesome jewel..

Postby bblovesae » Wed May 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Hello, I have a (I'm 99% sure male) jewel cichlid by himself in a 10 gallon tank. hes very active & healthy, always swimming all around his tank, and very aggressive. he goes right up to my hand when I'm cleaning the tank or moving things around, defiantly not scared of me. he will bite anyone who puts there finger in his tank, except me it seems like. however, I'm starting to feel bad for my jewel because he is getting big and I think he needs more room to swim around. I want to get a 20 gallon tank for him, does anyone know if jewels mind living alone? I could get a 30 gallon and get a female but he is so aggressive I'm worried he might beat her up, especially since he would be so much bigger then her.

it would be great if someone could give me there 2 cents on this. thanks in advance :)
bblovesae

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: lonesome jewel..

Postby samaki » Wed May 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi If yu don't want yur fish to spawn then yu can keep it by itself without females.
xris :)
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby bblovesae » Wed May 23, 2012 8:10 pm

thanks!
bblovesae

Postby bblovesae » Thu May 24, 2012 12:12 am

anyone know if I did get a 20 gallon would it be ok to get a female or do you think he would attack her?
bblovesae

Postby Jillian83 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:41 am

Jewels are ridiculously aggressive fish. If you get a single female, he will kill her. You need several females for every one male.
Jillian83

Postby gutted » Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 pm

first question is how big is he?
gutted

Postby bblovesae » Fri May 25, 2012 10:29 pm

gutted wrote:first question is how big is he?

I would say around 4 inches
bblovesae

Postby gutted » Sat May 26, 2012 7:03 am

That's a big fish for a small tank. If youre looking to get him a new tank, I'd go with a 20g long or 40g breeder. You want something with a larger footprint vs taller tank. Although I dont have much experience with jewels, I've heard from lots of people that they can be very nasty and mean. I'm not sure if a 20 gallon long would be enough room for a female to hide if the make decided to give her a good chase.
gutted

Postby bblovesae » Sat May 26, 2012 9:57 pm

gutted wrote:That's a big fish for a small tank. If youre looking to get him a new tank, I'd go with a 20g long or 40g breeder. You want something with a larger footprint vs taller tank. Although I dont have much experience with jewels, I've heard from lots of people that they can be very nasty and mean. I'm not sure if a 20 gallon long would be enough room for a female to hide if the make decided to give her a good chase.

thanks for the input! I think I'm going to go w a 20 gallon tank for him just by himself. He is aggressive but beautiful and fun to watch.
bblovesae

Postby irondan » Sun May 27, 2012 4:45 pm

i have a 5 inch lifalili male in my 125 with a 10 inch oscar, 10 inch gt and 10 inch nic as well as 6 big loaches and various smaller cichlids. the jewel is so nasty that even the big guys stay away from him

irondan

Postby gutted » Mon May 28, 2012 12:16 am

wow what a beast. beautiful too.
gutted

Postby bblovesae » Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 pm

irondan wrote:i have a 5 inch lifalili male in my 125 with a 10 inch oscar, 10 inch gt and 10 inch nic as well as 6 big loaches and various smaller cichlids. the jewel is so nasty that even the big guys stay away from him

wow! he is beautiful!! do you give him live foods? he is so red it's awesome. I think I'm going to keep him by himself, don't have a tank big enough for any of those guys. which smaller cichlids do you have him in with?
bblovesae

Postby irondan » Mon May 28, 2012 1:50 pm

thank you. he gets plankton, carnivor pellets, shrimp, earthworms, spirolina and shelled blanched peas. the smaller cichlids are salvini, spilurus and juvie jds
irondan

Postby bblovesae » Mon May 28, 2012 1:59 pm

irondan wrote:thank you. he gets plankton, carnivor pellets, shrimp, earthworms, spirolina and shelled blanched peas. the smaller cichlids are salvini, spilurus and juvie jds

sounds like its time for me to add more of a variety to my jewels diet, that must be why he looks so bland compared to yours. thanks for your input!!
oh and just wondering, have you had any problems with the jds and jewel? my boyfriend had a large adult jd in a 30 gal and added a juvi jewel that would terrorize him so he had to bring the jewel back to the LFS.
bblovesae

Postby irondan » Mon May 28, 2012 2:15 pm

nope, no probs but the tank is 125 gallons so lots of places for the jds to stay clear of the jewel
irondan

Next

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species