Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Help on my kribensis pair

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  japbart 
#1 ·
I have a pair of kribs and they already paired up. Im just a little concerned about the female cause shes so small. The male is twice her size. I think shes around 1.25" to 1.5". Theyre already showing pre spawning behavior. I was just wonderng if the female will stay that small or is she gonna grow some more? Im gonna post pics or a vid in a few days.

#4 ·
Ur male is beautiful. Thanks for Sharing that vid. I was just concerned cause my female looked like she was one of my males fry that grew up lol. I have other questions too.
If I do a water change will that help them spawn?
The caudal fin on my mail isn't pointy as u can see in the video. Is there a way for me to repair this?

#5 ·
The tail fin on my male is raggedy because of combat with a pleco, it's supposed to be full and round. Water changes never hurt your chances, you can try doing smaller more frequent water changes a few degrees cooler to simulate rain. Also try some live food, mine love bloodworms, pretty much any increase in protein will improve the chances of breeding

#9 ·
yeah mine love new life spectrum 1mm, they are very picky on food, so I feed them what they like, mysis and brine shrimp with nls. I've tried different kind of spirulina food, they will go for it but spit it back out lol. Mine paired up not long after I bought them. Females do stay smaller than males, but I wouldnt worry for her(unless there is an other female in the tank). I've found out in my tank that females are nastier than males... I had a female kill a male because he ate all their fry. Also, females really hate other females. So except when spawning or protecting fry, males are peacefull, but when spawning he will swim around the tank looking for lost fry, and if an other fish is in his way or too close from the fry, he will definitely chase it out of the there!!
Here is a video of my pair guarding their fry! just click on it :)

#13 ·
japbart said:
How about if I add another male then put them in a 40g long. And the albino isn't showing a red belly. Can u check if she's really a girl. http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r50 ... t/?src=wap
It might be too young, how long is that fish? It's striking me as a male. The last picture shows spots on the tail which is mainly a male feature, but it's sort of difficult without the coloring because it's albino. How is the picture quality? Albino cribs are usually golden, not white.

Two pairs together wouldn't work when they spawn and most of the time the females are more aggressive, spawning or no spawning. I'd separate them or at least put them in a 40L or 55 that has a divider. Sometimes you can make it work without a divider if you put up naturaly divisions in the tank, lines of plants, cave systems, that type of thing. For me, it's just not worth the risk to have a fish under that much stress.

#15 ·
The genus Pelvicachromis is defined/identified by the fact that males have the first spine of the ventral (Pelvic) fins longer than females. This makes their ventrals look pointed, while the female's look rounded because the soft rays are longer than the spine.

It is obvious in a couple of those shots that the ventrals are pointed, making that a male. He's just a bit young at this point and hasn't fully colored up yet, as I told you on the other forum. I posted this here to help others understand how to sex Pelvicachromis]/i].

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.